3. Emerald Star
I have delayed my review until after settlement of my financial claim against Emerald Waterways., but I am now able to write my review. Some of the points have already been covered in the earlier 3 star reviews but potential travellers do need to be warned against travelling with this line. Our trip was from Budapest to Nuremberg and the first problems occurred after our collection from Budapest airport, this was booked as a package so the vast majority of passengers were on the same early flight. We were met at the airport and transported to the ship(unusually without a guide) when we arrived at the ship the cases were unloaded and we were expected to carry them up the gangway. We were then ushered into a lounge, given a flavoured soft drink and left there with no announcements. We were expecting lunch as is normal but after half an hour we went to search of lunch to be told that the first meal was dinner and no local restaurants were open.After much complaining some food was reluctantly found but the majority of passengers were given nothing, we were allowed into our cabins at about 3pm. One of the major selling points of this cruise line is a swimming pool with a retractable roof, however the roof was not opened once during the cruise, the excuse being that this would result in debris being deposited in the pool, so you are left with a small indoor pool, not good enough, if debris accumulates the pool should be cleaned. Another selling point is the covering of the swimming pool to create a cinema in the evening. Unfortunately the equipment went wrong after the first night and there was no attempt to rectify the situation, so no cinema for the rest of the cruise. Worse was to follow for me, first I slipped on a wet gangway on the way back from a trip, luckily I was unhurt but the gangplank should have been covered as soon as it started to rain. Second on the last night of the cruise I left my mobile phone on charge in my cabin and when I returned later in the evening it had gone.The theft has been dealt with subsequently but at first the line sought to deny any liability saying that I should have left the phone in the safe which seems to imply that theft is the norm on their ships. The claim has now been settled. I associate myself with the comments made in earlier postings about the cabins and dining room acoustics.The food was in the main good although service was extremely variable and in some instances very amateurish. There other problems of a minor nature which I will not dwell upon, suffice to say that this was a very expensive cruise and failed in most ways to live up to expectations. In a line's first year of operation you would expect them to pull out all the stops to build up a good reputation, not so Emerald and if they continue to offer such a substandard product they will surely fail in what is a very competitive market.

AVOID THIS CRUISE LINE