3. Carnival Pride
The very first cruise I ever took was on the Pride. It was in 2010 and my wife and I and her parents went on board to celebrate our 25th and their 50th wedding anniversaries (just a bit late). Four years and many cruises later, we returned to the Pride, this time with my parents, to celebrate our 30th and their 65th wedding anniversaries. My parents are experienced cruisers, having taken their first cruise in 1973 on a ship that was an old converted military ship. They have been all over the world and know cruising well. My wife and I have also been to Europe and all over the Caribbean, so we would consider ourselves experienced cruisers. Our staterooms were exactly as we have come to expect. Same layout, same design, same wonderful storage, same bathrooms, same balconies. There isn't much to say about them other than that Carnival does a better job than perhaps any other cruise line in terms of the design of the space. You may not care for the décor, but their is ample storage and plenty of room for two people in the cabin to be very comfortable, especially with the balcony. The A/C worked perfectly, and our room steward was truly extraordinary. My mother became ill on the ship and made a bit of mess in her room--the steward, I Made, cleaned it up with a smile on his face, doing all he could in his power to help my mom get over her embarrassment. The dining room served exactly what we would expect. We have taken enough Carnival cruises that we pretty much know the menus by memory. Our serving staff was one of the best we have ever had, and they were particularly attentive to my parents, which was very nice. We never lacked for food options during the day and enjoyed the brunch as well as the buffet on occasion. We also went to the steakhouse on the first evening to celebrate our anniversary (and receive our complimentary bottle of wine). The service and food were extraordinary, as always, and well worth the price. Our ports were Grand Cayman, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport. In Grand Cayman we enjoyed the free lounge chairs on the beach. We did the same in Half Moon Cay (and really LOVED the BBQ lunch they provided on the island). On Freeport we only got off the ship for a few moments to visit with some friends we met on the ship and that was it. Half Moon Cay, by the way, is every bit as beautiful as everyone says it is. Don't miss it! The on-board entertainment was very good. We enjoyed the comedy club and were delighted to find Calvyn on board during our week acting as the Assistant Cruise Director. He's so very funny and very good at his job, and we are thrilled that he has moved on to be a cruise director in his own right. The show band was truly fantastic, the shows were typical Carnival fare. If there was any criticism of the cruise at all, it would be the cruise director, Josh "Big Sexy." We came to the conclusion that Josh is most interested in Josh--he interrupted karaoke to sing (because he knew the passengers wanted him to) and in his shows (for example the Love and Marriage Show) he managed to keep the attention on himself rather than on the guests. His staff is openly critical of him and it is obvious that they do not respect him. It would be nice to think that his presence doesn't matter--but he's still a very public presence and recommendation of Carnival, and so he certainly "cheapened" the cruise by his activities. By the way--he had two personal friends on the ship with him, and they pretty much took over the Morning Show and kept him from having much guest contact on this particular week. Should you cruise on the Pride? Yes, you should. Will you have fun? Yes, you will. Will it be the trip of a lifetime? Probably not--but hey, even a mediocre cruise is better than no cruise at all!

Second time on the Pride

Carnival Pride Cruise Review by tommytune42

• Sail Date: June 2014
  • Destination: Bahamas
tommytune42’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Pride price drops

A balcony cabin on a Carnival ship is a balcony cabin on a Carnival ship. Lots of storage, intelligently laid out, tacky in décor, plenty of room in the bathroom, and all in all quite comfortable.
  Carnival Pride Deck Plans