3. Emerald Princess

Just returned from a 7 night cruise on the Emerald Princess along fjords in Norway. I went with my 13 year old daughter. We have both cruised on the Emerald before when we did a 10 night Western Caribbean cruise 2 years ago.

Embarkation. We had a 2.30 slot and we arrived at Southampton at 2. There was a long queue but we proceeded through checking and security very quickly. We were on board by 2.50.

Cabin. We had an inside cabin and our steward was the lovely Luney. Our cabin was A336

For the 2 of us the cabin was fine. I've never cruised in an Inside cabin before. When my husband joins us we usually book a Balcony. The room also had two upper berths so potentially it could hold 4 people. In my opinion that would have been extremely cramped. It was bad enough telling my teenager constantly to stop leaving clothing on the bed, floor etc.

the bathroom though small was adequate. It had a shower, WC and sink unit.

By the time we went to our cabin out luggage was already outside the room. Very impressive.

We had missed lunch so we went up to Horizon Court on level 15. It was crazy busy. Vast array of good but the crowd and then trying find seating afterwards was very off putting. That was my first and only stressor of the holiday.

We unpacked our clothes and went on top deck for whilst the ship was manoeuvring out of Southampton and Portsmouth.

Dining. We had anytime Dining which gives us flexibility. We had dinner in the Michael Angelo dining room every night. We shared a table every night. It was lovely chatting to new people each night. The majority of cruisers were British with a few Americans and smaller amounts if people from other parts of the world.

Food. Food was ok. I don't know why but the choices seemed less varied than previous cruises I've been on. And every beef dish I ordered was cooked incorrectly when received. I have never had that before and I have cruised a lot! I definitely felt that there was less crew in the dining areas and I felt service suffered for it.

We had Afternoon Tea on the first sea day. The service was dreadful. The tea is only 1 hour and you are usually offered several trays of delicious nibbles. The day we did it, the waiter offered food to two people on our table and then walked off. re hello? There are 6 more of us?

Service was very slow and we were offered 2 trays of nibbles in the 40 minutes we were there. Very disappointed. Our table was asked by the Head Waiter if everything was ok. He got an onslaught of complaints from everyone. It was quite funny.

Ports. The ports were Stvanger, Arlsund, Skjolden, Bergen. All were gorgeous, scenic and relaxing. I literally felt my stress melt away.

I loved the evening sails ways just sitting on the deck and absorbing the panorama along the fjords. Very similar to the Scottish a Highlands but it didn't feel bleak. I suppose because we were there during the summer.

Movies under the Stars. Weather wasn't conducive for enjoying outdoor viewing but Million Dollar Arm was good.

I didn't do evening entertainment, I tend to find it a bit old fashioned for me.

Overall, it was an enjoyable cruise, but I think the Nickle and Dime cost cutting measures are tainting the overall standards on Princess.

Enjoyable But....

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by qashqaiqueen

the bathroom though small was adequate. It had a shower, WC and sink unit.

qashqaiqueen’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15

Cabin A336

A336 inside cabin. 2 singles and 2 upper berths. Ideal and comfortable for 2 people but I believe it would be cramped for more than 2 unless one is a small child

Emerald Princess Deck Plans