3. Majesty of the Seas
My husband and I went on a 4 night Bahamas cruise on the Majesty of the Seas this past July. This was our first cruise and we weren't sure what to expect. I read message board and reviews diligently and found them incredibly helpful, so I wanted to pay it forward and give a review of our cruise. EMBARKING We boarded the ship in Miami which was a very smooth process. I felt nervous that very few directions were given about how much luggage was permitted, when to get on the boat, etc, but things ended up being quite simple. We boarded the ship around noon because I wanted to get on as soon as possible after we checked out of our hotel. In hindsight, I wish we would've waited until after 1 because our rooms were not ready. Unfortunately, no one else's rooms were ready until 1 either so common areas like the buffet and pool were very crowded until crowds could dissipate into their rooms. Thankfully, this was the ONLY time the ship ever felt crowded. I was not prepared for the muster drill to take so long (20-30 minutes) and to be so disorganized. Despite multiple announcements, people seemed to straggle up to their stations at their leisure which made the process take much longer than it should've. THE SHIP/CABIN I'd read in reviews that the ship seemed outdated and unkempt, but I did not find this to be true. Yes, it had some tacky brass accents and casino style carpeting throughout, but it kind of added to the cruise atmosphere. We felt the ship was very clean and welcoming. The pool deck was nice although the actual pool was pretty small. We didn't have any days at sea so we didn't get a chance to swim in the pool. We tried to stop in the hot tubs on various evenings but they were always full of people. The pool deck was a nice place to relax though, even in the evenings under the stars. The entertainment on the ship was great. We saw a newlywed show, a juggler and a comedy show which were all enjoyable (especially for free entertainment). On the pool deck, we saw a "worlds sexiest man" competition which was hilarious. We played BINGO one night, and even though we lost, we had a blast. I really enjoyed that there was always something to do or watch on the ship. We booked an obstructed view ocean view room on Deck 7. I searched for reviews and couldn't find what that meant, so I'll solve the mystery. Deck 7 is a deck where people can walk the perimeter of the ship which means that we had a window, but we had to keep curtains closed all the time so that people couldn't see into our room. We didn't have to pay anything extra for this window "perk" so we weren't upset about the oddness of it, but it would be annoying if you were expecting something better. It was fun to have the window to peer out each morning and see if we had arrived at our port yet. Additionally, being on deck 7 was nice so that we could walk only a few steps to a deck railing with a view, and the pool and buffet were only a few floors up, and dining room a few floors down. Overall, the room was tiny, but not as tight as I'd imagined. The bed was very comfortable and there was plenty of room in the closet to store our clothes. The room was cleaned daily including a nightly turn down service, but I was disappointed we only got one towel animal. PORTS Nassau - We paid to go to Atlantis and after seeing the area, I'm glad we did. It seemed that the only things within walking distance was shopping and señor frogs. Atlantis had a beautiful beach. We were struck by how powdery white the sand was and how clear the water looked. The water park was very nice. We spent the entire day there and didn't get to see everything. There were many types of pools, watersides and lazy rivers for people looking for relaxation or excitement. Food is available for purchase but you have to use a credit card (they don't accept cash). Lockers are available, and I would recommend going there first thing because we waited over 30 minutes in line to get a locker. Also, we put our flip flops in the locker because we weren't sure what to do with them, but we both burned the bottoms of our feet on the hot pavement and it was quite uncomfortable. In hindsight, I wish we would've bought some cheap and dorky water shoes so that we could've worn them throughout the day. We spent some time walking around viewing the aquarium tanks but they were all spread out and I don't think we saw them all. COCOCAY - This stop was AMAZING! We wished we could've stayed at this island the entire trip. This is a private island owned by Royal Carib. To get here, the boat anchors slightly off shore and smaller boats called tenders pull up to the boat and take small groups onto the island. We took the recommendations of the captian's announcement and were on one of the first tenders. By the time we got on the boat, the line for boats had wound around the stairwell and up several floors. Getting their early also gave us first choice of beach chairs and beach locations. A friend advised us not to stop at the chairs near the dock and just keep walking. We ended up camping out at "barefoot beach" and it was a great choice. It was not crowded at all, but we were fortunately the only ship docked there that day. I have heard in peak season there can be 2 or 3 cruise ships docked there which would make it considerably more crowded. The other cool part about CocoCay is that your drinks and food are all included. Around noon there is a huge BBQ buffet which was tasty and there are lots of little tiki bars around the island where you can drink cold alcoholic beverages. A common complaint of this stop is that the water is very shallow a long way out and it's hard to really "swim". However, the sand is so soft and fine that you can just sit in the calm water. I also saw people drag their beach chairs right into the water. We rented floating mats which were super comfy. KEY WEST - One disappointment about Key West is that there didn't appear to be much of a beach. We took a snorkel tour at this stop, so we didn't have much time to explore, but we did walk around the main areas which seemed to have a lot of bars and shopping destinations, but not much else. After the awesomeness of CocoCay, Key West wasn't that impressive, but it was nice. DISEMBARKING - When embarking the ship, you are given a form to check off your disembarking options. A fellow traveler gave us a tip to select the option to carry off your own luggage and exit the ship first. This was a fairly easy process and we were off of the ship and through customs without any hassle. If you select for the staff to take your luggage off for you, you have to pack your bag the night before and place it outside of your room. Then in the morning you must exit according to announcements of floors or muster stations (I can't remember which). The ladies who advised us against that stated that they had waited HOURS for their luggage to arrive (yuck!). In hindsight, I may not have bought the unlimited alcohol package. While we did drink nightly, I'm not sure we got our money worth since we were gone most of the day. It was nice to have the option, however, and not feel guilty ordering fancy frozen beverages or sodas. We chose the "my time dining" option instead of picking a meal time which was a good choice. Some nights we were hungry early and others we ate quite late and it was nice to have the flexibility. We had dinner in the dining room every night and enjoyed the multiple courses and the very friendly service. We had a small table for 2 which was nice since we'd heard we would have to eat with other people.

Fantastic First Cruise Experience

josmith77’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas price drops

Majesty of the Seas Deck Plans

• Snorkeling
    We booked the catamaran and snorkel tour which was very fun. I was surprised that the boat took us out so far (almost an hour!) and stopped at the barrier reef. They gave a brief snorkel lesson and let you have at it. We saw some medium sized fish but not as many large and exciting fish as we'd hoped. The boat did offer free beverages on the way back including pitchers of margaritas, water and sodas. The crew on the boat was really fun and seemed to love their jobs.I downgraded the trip a few stars because the snorkeling part of the trip seemed to go by really quickly. Additionally, the boat ride was pretty rough and quite a few people got sick.
    View All 51 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Atlantis Resort
    Atlantis was BEAUTIFUL. The beach was incredible and there were many places to spread out if you want to be alone. Aquaventure was very fun and worth the money. There were many pools, lazy rivers and watersides to enjoy. Food and lockers are available for an extra charge. Towels are included for free use. I'd recommend bringing water shoes because the pavement is SO hot that we burned our feet. (We had flip flops but you can't wear them on rides)I didn't give it a perfect review because it was a bit expensive, but if I was in Nassau, I would go again.
    View All 688 Atlantis Resort Reviews