3. Celebrity Solstice

Not everyone goes on a cruise to (1) drink or (2) spend outrageous amounts of money shopping for jewelry and/or art. It would behoove Celebrity Cruises to consider this. We just returned from a lovely cruise to Alaska and we had a wonderful time. Most of the food was outstanding (it was certainly plentiful) and the service was impeccable. Our accommodations were terrific. Upon reflection, however, I have a few suggestions to make.

The first would be to simply give people more information about what we are seeing. Celebrity has an in-house "expert" who gives a talk each day about various germane topics, e.g., seals, bears, glaciers, etc. While he seems knowledgeable, some printed material with a detailed map would really be helpful, to be included with the daily flyer. Perhaps they are reserving information for those who take excursions. If so, shame on them. We had already paid enough to expect some basic info about where we were.

My other issue has to do with the internet. Like many, I was depending on internet to keep me in touch with home. The sign in the internet lounge says "The internet is slow and unstable." Then why are you charging $59 for 90 minutes of it??? It takes 10-15 minutes just to establish a connection, then you might abruptly lose it. I figure that I was spending $30-40 PER EMAIL. I understand that satellite internet is not the best. THEN DON'T CHARGE FOR IT. Please. And if you need to call home, be aware that it will cost you $7.95 per minute. Yes, you read that right.

Kudos, however, for the nightly shows, especially the last night's "SOLSTICE" show, which rivaled Cirque du Soleil. And for the good selection of movies. And the efficiency shown in embarking and disembarking. Great job!

Different strokes for different folks

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by MexicoKaren

• Sail Date: July 2014
  • Destination: Alaska

MexicoKaren’s Full Rating Summary

The cabin itself was roomy enough for two, with all of the amenities we expected and then some. The steward (Paul) kept it clean and comfortable for us. The veranda was wonderful. Having said that, I would not book this cabin again, because it is SO far forward. Getting anywhere entailed a LONG walk (which we probably needed because we were eating so much!)

Celebrity Solstice Deck Plans