This was my first and last cruise with this line, The crew is 95% Philippians and spoke and radioed to each other in their native tongue which is fine with me but I would be very confused in an emergency situation, even the practice life boat drill had a huge language gap. the available Internet was only available for a fee, as was virtually everything on the ship including coffee, pop and water. I ordered a glass of wine but was up sold to a bottle that would be available to me when ever I wanted a glass, they lost it and it took 5 days to receive a replacement. We were given Complimentary beverage cards and told to use them quickly as they had no cash value, we did so on a 3 bottle wine package over $ 100 and then we were embarrassed to be told the cards were not valid and that it would be charged to our credit card ( in all fairness they did give us a credit to cover this after several trips to the front desk ) The food in the Lido was not kept hot nor cold everything was at room temperature, this made for a less than enjoyable dining experience. The Lido had long lines every day , every meal and very, very limited selection as what was available ran out often ( on my last night aboard dinner was pasta and french fries ) No drinks were every offered and everything was get up and get it yourself. Coffee here was free but weak and served in tiny cups. Dinner at the Rotterdam was 5 star style but 2 star food food was bland and tasteless but presented very nicely

First and LAST cruise

Maasdam Cruise Review by Phil347

• Sail Date: July 2014
  • Destination: USA
This was my first and last cruise with this line,
Phil347’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Maasdam price drops

room had a queen size bed lots of closets and a 4 piece bathroom ( no fan )small TV and a wee desk.Our unobstructed view balcony was a non opening window with people walking by at all hours and a spot light directly outside ( curtains had to be drawn shut at all times )
  Maasdam Deck Plans

• Lobster Fishing & Seal Watching
    Lulu's Lobster boat Ride ( $119.90 )This trip was fun and informative learned many things from an excellent Captain and really enjoyed the trip.getting off the ship was delayed quite a bit due to fog so the day was cut short.Had an amazing lunch at Paddy's Irish Pub and got some great deals up and down the main street
    View All 8 Lobster Fishing & Seal Watching Reviews
  • Boston
    Took a taxi right to the Airport for only $14.00
    View All 667 Boston Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Boston Cruise Port Review
  • Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island)
    The Seafood Chef ( $319.90 ) PLUS drinksThis was supposed to be an interactive cooking lesson and meal.We walked to a restaurant that was just starting to open for business and sat at the bar while the chef cooked mussels in a pan, then another pan with 2 shrimps, more mussels, followed by 3 raw oysters on the half shell. The Chef and his assistant were very friendly but basically we paid over $350 dollars to watch a 30 dollar meal being prepared.This was not a worthwhile expenditure.
    View All 204 Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island) Cruise Port Review
  • Maritime Museum
    we did not take the ship tour of the Museum at $119,98 and instead walked the 2 blocks and got in for less than $20.00. It was very nice. We then walked about the piers and and had lunch at the port watching big Navy ships coming in. Lots to do and see, NO NEED for ship tours here
    View All 16 Maritime Museum Reviews
  • Montreal
    Came in from the airport via taxi that we split with other passengers we met on the plane . Taxi $40.00
    View All 83 Montreal Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Montreal Cruise Port Review
  • Walking Tour
    a walk through Old Quebec ( $ 99.98 for two )We spent the morning walking thru town on our own then met up for the walking tour with a guide. He was very pleasant and shared lots of information and knowledge about the town that we would never know with out him.. so, so very pleasedThe town is gorgeous and picturesque, although it did rain onus during the morning hours, we still had a great time.
    View All 36 Walking Tour Reviews
  • The Bell Museum
    Baddeck & A.G. Bell Museum by bus ( $159.98 )went for an hour long bus trip not much to see or do along the trip but pretty views. The Museum can be done in about an hour ( extra $ for the 15 minute film ), after we had seen everything we went for a walk through the beautiful quaint town of Baddeck and stopped for ice cream. then back on the bus by now it had gotten quite hot out but the bus had no air the ride back virtually everyone fell asllep the whole way.Nice place but not worth that kind of money
    View All 22 The Bell Museum Reviews