3. Silver Spirit
This was our second cruise with Silversea and our 8th overall on luxury cruises. We went with Silversea to the Arctic last year and decided to try them again for a cruise on the Black Sea. We were disappointed on several fronts. 1) Customer service at head office It is non-existent. As in-- my travel agent e-mailed a week ago regarding a complaint (see below) and we have heard nothing. I e-mailed the Director of Guest Relations 5 days ago and have heard nothing. We have e-mailed just to receive a copy of the folio and have heard nothing! Assuming their e-mail is not broken, this is beyond me for a purported luxury company. At this point, I don't even know how to get in touch with them for a receipt. 2) Shore excursions Our itinerary originally visited the Ukraine for three stops, but this was cancelled for obvious reasons. They replaced them with 2 stops in Turkey and Sochi. These ports were very uninteresting. What's worse, are the shore excursions. In Sochi the guide could barely speak English. And when you pay for a shore excursion, your expectation is to see stuff. Not to be taken to the Radisson hotel and have a drink and snack (hello!! we are on an all inclusive ship!). When I complained to the shore desk that this was sub-par (along with most everyone who did a shore excursion in Sochi), he wrote the following in the Chronicles the next day: "The guides are locals who may have a heavy accent and/or lack on expertise in all aspects of the city" (not being able to translate from the person who was giving us the tour in Russian is not a heavy accent, it's a lack of English), "Please remember that, as travelers, it is what lies outside the window that is important, what we see, hear and experience for ourselves and see the places we are visiting for what they are and not what we would like them to be". You can only take this to mean, we will charge you the same price as a top notch tour, but expect less and don't complain. How patronizing!! 3) Dining Overall dining was fine with one exception of the maitre d' being extremely rude and not wanting to cater to a special request (steak with steamed vegetables). We were sitting with guests who are consultants in hospitality management-- they were pretty appalled. I had to hold my husband back from saying things further, given it was our last night and I didn't want to ruin it. 4) The good The ship is fine. The crew is outstanding (but I have never encountered a less than outstanding crew). The rooms are fine, except I found the shower in the bathroom awkward. We met several people on the boat who were sailing with Silversea for the first time and none would come back...neither will we. The ship was half empty so maybe others have already figured this out. There are other companies who provide the same amenities but with better customer service. This one left such a bad taste in my mouth that I will never sail with them again.

Won't bother again with Silversea