3. Pacific Princess
We booked a cruise on the Pacific Princess after finding a last minute deal. We booked a guaranteed inside and were upgraded to an ocean view. :). My wife and I have cruised on large ships on princess and celebrity and wanted to see how a small ship would compare so as to have some knowledge of options for future cruises. Food: just as good as any other ship we have been on. Theme days for lunches were great. Because there is only one main dining room anytime dining was not offered. We had the late sitting because the early sitting was all booked. We really missed anytime dining, don't like to eat too late, and as a result ate in the buffet the first night after watching the scenery off Vancouver island. We did not pay the big bucks to eat in the specialty restaurants So I can't comment on them. I do wish they were boycotted so that princess would use the facilities for anytime dining instead. Entertainment: this ship definitely had a lot of seniors on it and the entertainment reflected that. Even the cruise director although not a senior, was the oldest I've seen on a ship. I felt in a time warp and watching Lawrence Welk sometimes. Maybe I am exaggerating a little. The stage shows were good, the magician excellent, and the comedian was funny. They made it work with the small lounge but I've got to say I missed the big theater setting. The bands were duos with canned music. They were a combination of karaoke and DJ and live. It was danceable but again I missed the 4 piece bands found on a larger ship. The games were ok but not the rowdy fun of a larger ship. The pool was very small and onlY 2 hot tubs. The weather was nor conducive to pool fun. Larger ships would have a covered pool. Casino: staff was helpful and fun Gym: great, had everything needed Spa: did not use, but there was a large pay for use hot tub sitting idle. Too bad princess would lower the price and have people use the facility. The cruise director kept telling us that a small ship has the advantage of having the friendliest staff afloat. Well I did not find they were more or less friendly than any other ship, other than seeing the captain out and about. Conclusion: it was nice not to have to walk for ever to get from one end of the ship to the other. We had a very relaxing time. But I would probably book a larger ship next time for the availability of more options and activities, especially on sea days.

Small ship vs large ship cruising

Pacific Princess Cruise Review by funksticks

• Sail Date: July 2014
  • Destination: Alaska
Casino: staff was helpful and fun
Gym: great, had everything needed

funksticks’s Full Rating Summary
Get Pacific Princess price drops

The stateroom was comfortable and large enough, lots of space to hang out with a small shower, but adequate
  Pacific Princess Deck Plans