3. Pride of America

I can best describe my cruise in one word...mediocre. My husband and I have been on two other cruises, both with Royal Caribbean. Trying to compare the POA cruise to those is like comparing apples to zebras. Since it is an American run ship the staff acted like they were doing you a favor. We were treated like royalty on Royal Caribbean, but not on this ship. The only time we were able to get a lounge by the pool was on the day we didn't leave the ship and we were out there by 10:00 AM. Too many people, not enough room.

The last day of the cruise they had a barbeque where the line snaked around the pool area just to get a hamburger and then you had to go inside because there were no seats.

Specialty dining was just ok (Moderno and La Cucina).

I suggest if you have seen any of the Hawaiian Islands before that you just pick a couple of the islands and go there. The price of the this cruise was almost double what we paid to the Caribbean and Mexico by the time you add up pre-cruise stay, the airfare, and the cruise and excursions. (We booked the excursions on line with Roberts Tours which actually saved us about $200) as opposed to doing it on the ship.

Not Again

Pride of America Cruise Review by BeckNCall

• Sail Date: July 2014
  • Destination: Hawaii

Specialty dining was just ok (Moderno and La Cucina).

BeckNCall’s Full Rating Summary

Nice room. We were aft and we had a large balcony with two lounge chairs. Typical cruise room. Quite a trek to the swimming pool and restaurants. Four channels on the tv, ESPN, MSNBC, FOX. new movie releases, the rest are ship channels, cruise director babbling on in the morning, longitude latitude, what restaurants have availability, etc.

Pride of America Deck Plans

• Hilo

Took the tour to Volcanoes National Park out of Hilo. This is a tour that was almost 7 hours long that could have been completed in about 4-5 hours. Stopped at various tourist traps, one of which was the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory that has been closed down for a couple of years. There was a lot of action in the gift store however.

View All 463 Hilo Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Hilo Cruise Port Review
  • Honolulu

Being in Honolulu is like being back in LA where we are from. Don't rent a car because when you go into town there is nowhere to park it. I have never seen so many cars and people in one spot. The locals go to the beach in the late afternoon when the tourists have left so they then take all the parking spots. We had valet parking in our hotel (Aqua Lotus, very nice). Driving around the island was not a good idea, because again, nowhere to park. We tried to go to the beautiful reserve in Hanauma Bay for snorkeling and we couldn't because guess what..no parking. Drove around and around and it was barely 9:00 AM. Had we known the traffic was so bad, we would have just taking a tour and not rented a car. Stay away from Honolulu if you want the true Hawaiian experience. We were there 3 days prior to the cruise. Wish we would have cut that down to an overnight stay.

View All 520 Honolulu Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Honolulu Cruise Port Review
  • Kauai

This island exemplifies what Hawaii is all about. We rented a car for the day and overnight and drove around the island. There are no high rise hotels and even though the island has grown (we were here about 30 years ago) it still has the slow Hawaiian feel to it. Beautiful beaches and great snorkeling spots.

View All 426 Kauai Cruise Port Reviews