3. Celebrity Equinox

We have been on 8 other cruises all on Royal Caribbean ships. We were told that Celebrity was a step up- well I am still trying to work how where and how.

It was a very nice cruise and if we hadn't been on others we would be gobsmacked I guess however I didn't feel that this ship was as 'tight ' as it could be.

We were a little late in the afternoon embarking 4 pm and we went straight to Ocean View Cafe for something to eat. All that was on offer was pizzas pastas, bread cheese and a token bit of salad. Most of the serving area was cut off. We had to go and find somebody to get us a drink. Food nice but I neither like pasta or pizza much and certainly on a RCI Ship the choice would have been far more, this set the scene for the rest of the week. Our cabins were OK but smaller I think that RCI. All week in the Ocean View when we went for lunch we had the same problem. Nobody seemed to want to get us a drink. My husband most times just went to the bar and was greeted with a nod no nice how are you today, everything OK or we will bring it to you. Seemed to be a dearth of waiting staff. As we went off the ship most mornings on trips or to explore we had the same thing most days, the lunch was curtailed at about 2.15 pasta, pizzas and I have to admit more salad and bread but no carvery, no Indian, no fish etc after this time. I felt a little cheated. On the RCI there were stations you could pick up pizzas and sandwiches and fruit not here. Another thing is that on the RCI ships a big display of fruit was always on hand. All that we had here was plates of cut melon, pineapple etc and bowl of mixed fruit. I liked the idea of picking up an apple, or a banana or a satsuma, no option for this at all.

Overall nobody was horrid or mean to us just basically bored and disinterested.

We never pay our gratuities until the last day, so didn't prepay. When I tried to go and order them on the thursday the customer relations person ( who couldn't have been less interested if she tried) said, no worries marm, it comes off automatically. However what I think she meant is that they take gratuities on top of your drinks package for each drink automatically. I don't know as they don't give you a bill you need to order one or look it up on the (by the way oh so boring stations ) tv. We ordered one on the Friday pm but the queues were so big we couldn't collect it why wasn't it delivered to our room. We linked our cabin to our sons who we were treating for the cruise, so our card was put onto his cabin. We checked it online before we went, but had a huge hoo ha when trying to book in about it and had to redo it and when it came time to leave same thing, they practically accused my son of not paying. Attitude makes a world of difference. We had no bath robes in our room, but new ones were put in the last night 'for the next guests'. All a bit of a muddle staff were OK but more like a 3 * hotel staff, not what we have become accustomed to expect from a cruise.

Would I cruise again, probably on Celebrity Certainly not. Sort it out Captain you are ultimately responsible and your staff all seem as though they are on dope they are so lethargic.

Oh one more thing don't put any scissors in your luggage hand or otherwise they confiscated ours at embarking, a very very annoying unhelpful woman absolutely loved telling us she was taking them out, I questioned about scissors on a boat (they were 2 inches long) but evidently they were banned.

Nice time but not as good as Royal Caribbean

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by bjrivers

Overall nobody was horrid or mean to us just basically bored and disinterested.

bjrivers’s Full Rating Summary

Ok a little tired and very small.

Celebrity Equinox Deck Plans