They should rename this cruise line Pauper instead of Princess. This was my 6th cruise but my first on Princess and what a disappointment it was. Thankfully the itinerary (British Isles) was fantastic and so all was not lost and we still enjoyed our vacation. But the Princess Ruby? Not so much....
The first morning we were locked out of our room for almost an hour due to a dead battery in the electronic door. Thankfully we didn’t have an excursion scheduled or we would have missed it.
Day 3 the hard-wired hair dryer caught on fire in my hand!!! Not only did it catch on fire but it would not shut off. I tried several times putting it in the off position but it continued to turn itself back on and spit flames through the air vents. Since the desk area was full of papers and a throw pillow I couldn't set it down and so I continued to hold it while trying to shut it off. Since it was hard-wired there was no way to unplug it and the reset button didn’t work for me either. Thankfully my husband (who is a retired 30 year veteran Fire Dept Captain) hadn’t gotten into the shower yet (a wet body couldn’t have helped me) and he was finally able to push in the reset button hard enough to shut it off. I shutter to think what would have happened if I had panicked or hadn’t had my husband there to help me. It took my heart a good hour to come back to it’s normal rhythm after the cabin steward, his supervisor and finally the electrician removed the faulty thing. Another hour lost but compared with what could have happened that is minor. I was hoping that we would receive some sort of thank you from upper management: a bottle of Champagne, a fruit basket or even a note would have be nice but we got nothing. Nothing but a rather embarrassed “I’m sorry” (and a regular plug in hair dryer to use for the duration of the cruise) from the cabin staff.
Sorry and sad! Dead batteries in entry door and TV remote, burned out lights and a faulty and dangerous hair dryer that caught on fire while in use. Although if you happen to get this room in the near future it may be better since just about everything has now been fixed and the flaming hair dryer replaced.