They should rename this cruise line Pauper instead of Princess. This was my 6th cruise but my first on Princess and what a disappointment it was. Thankfully the itinerary (British Isles) was fantastic and so all was not lost and we still enjoyed our vacation. But the Princess Ruby? Not so much....
The first morning we were locked out of our room for almost an hour due to a dead battery in the electronic door. Thankfully we didn’t have an excursion scheduled or we would have missed it.
Day 3 the hard-wired hair dryer caught on fire in my hand!!! Not only did it catch on fire but it would not shut off. I tried several times putting it in the off position but it continued to turn itself back on and spit flames through the air vents. Since the desk area was full of papers and a throw pillow I couldn't set it down and so I continued to hold it while trying to shut it off. Since it was hard-wired there was no way to unplug it and the reset button didn’t work for me either. Thankfully my husband (who is a retired 30 year veteran Fire Dept Captain) hadn’t gotten into the shower yet (a wet body couldn’t have helped me) and he was finally able to push in the reset button hard enough to shut it off. I shutter to think what would have happened if I had panicked or hadn’t had my husband there to help me. It took my heart a good hour to come back to it’s normal rhythm after the cabin steward, his supervisor and finally the electrician removed the faulty thing. Another hour lost but compared with what could have happened that is minor. I was hoping that we would receive some sort of thank you from upper management: a bottle of Champagne, a fruit basket or even a note would have be nice but we got nothing. Nothing but a rather embarrassed “I’m sorry” (and a regular plug in hair dryer to use for the duration of the cruise) from the cabin staff.
Day 5 or 6 the TV remote stopped working and although we let our steward know in the morning before we left for the day, we had to remind him again that evening and he finally replaced the battery.
Day 8 or so 2 lights in our cabin burned out. They replaced them both the next day.
It was “smooth sailing” for the remaining few days as far as our cabin was concerned. But sadly I must add 2 additional things to the above list. The food in general was disappointing and there was no lobster night...WTH? There is always a lobster night and we look forward to it - but apparently not on the Princess Ruby. So much for being treated like royalty!
Last but not least the WiFi connection sucked! Apparently Princess is trying to save money and changed carriers/bandwidth about 2 months ago (according to Princess staff). We spent about $80 (half of which was refunded to us) since it required so much time for every download we couldn’t accomplish anything. In this day and age there is simply no reason for this - except for them trying to save an almighty buck which I think will cost them in the long run!
I’m surprised that Princess has fallen into such a sorry state although considering the problems that Carnival Inc. has been experiencing the last few years I guess I should be thankful that we didn’t get stranded somewhere!
Sorry and sad! Dead batteries in entry door and TV remote, burned out lights and a faulty and dangerous hair dryer that caught on fire while in use. Although if you happen to get this room in the near future it may be better since just about everything has now been fixed and the flaming hair dryer replaced.