3. Carnival Legend

My husband and I spent 7 beautiful days aboard the Carnival Legend sailing through the Western Caribbean to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We started off in Tampa setting sail for Cozumel, Mexico. After leaving Cozumel, we headed to Belize; followed by the Isla Roatan Honduras, the Grand Caymans and back to Tampa.

I have to admit there was good and bad, as in most all vacations. It had been 9 years since our last cruise and a lot had changed.

We chose a bad week: holiday and tons of kids on board. I love kids, but at times they were loud and annoying. We found our sanity at the adult pool hang out called Serenity.

It appeared that the staff was smaller which caused wait times in the dining room. Our poor head waiter and her staff worked their tails off serving what looked like 6-8 full tables of 6. We waited for drinks and food. Never experienced that on past cruises. Overall, food was okay, not spectacular as on past cruises. There was a steakhouse on board and they wanted you to shell out $35 more dollars per person for the quality steak and lobster we were accustomed to.

We also missed the midnight buffets. There were none. In years past we were amazed at the food carvings at the buffets. We never made all of them in the past, but looked forward to the carved food buffet.

The excursions were amazing. Jeeps and Tequila tour in Cozumel. Very hot but still fun. Learned everything we needed to know about tequila and then some. Always look for 100% agave on the bottle. If you shake it and it foams, it's not 100% agave. 100% agave does not need extra sugar. Sugar causes the foam. We left the Mayan village and headed to Punta Sur beach. It was beautiful and very peaceful. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say 6. Probably wouldn't do it again.

That evening was formal night and it was enjoyable watching all the people dressed up. We took tons of pictures this night.

On Wednesday, July 2, we docked in Belize. Took a tender boat to the pier and met our tour guide to take us to the Mayan caves. The ride was about an hour but was air conditioned. Belize City is very poverish. We finally arrived at the caves.

Met our guide and suited up with life vests and water shoes. We had to carry our tubes about 45min over jagged rock which was rather tiresome but our guide kept us entertained. We saw various foliage and insects. Saw my first tarantula...ick!

We finally arrived at the cave entrance and made our way into the very cold waters. It was AMAZING and well worth the nature walk. We floated about an hour while our guide pointed out various artifacts. Saw some bats hanging from the ceiling. The rock formations were incredible. We made our way through and back onto the bus. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say 9. The jagged rocky walk takes away from the excursion.

The next morning we docked in Mahogany Bay which is a private Carnival island in Roatan, Honduras. We took a small charter catamaran out to snorkel. The fish and sea life were amazing. I would recommend this excursion very highly. Scale of 9.

On Friday, July 4, we found ourselves in the Grand Caymans. We took a charter to Dolphin Cove. The dolphin encounter was amazing. We were divided into small groups and had a chance to interact with the dolphins. A lot of fun.

After the dolphin encounter, we headed out on a charter to Stingray City. Once anchored, we were able to stand on a sandbar and interact with about 30 stingrays. Incredible creatures. They were very docile and lovable. Wanted to be held like babies. We were able to feel them squid. I was scared about the stingrays at first, but surprisingly enjoyed them over the dolphins. This is the excursion I would do over and over again. 10+

We spent our last day on the boat at sea. After four back-to-back excursions, we needed this down time. I had an early appointment for a massage which was relaxing and well deserved. We spent the rest of Saturday relaxing at the Serenity adult pool.

All in all, a great cruise. Sadly, we did feel some of the personal comforts were missing but it was a packed boat and a holiday week. As much as we enjoyed our time on the Legend, I think we'll return to the all inclusive adult resorts where everything is included. We felt, at times, pressure to spend more money than we already had. Just a sign of the times.

7 Day Cruise on Carnival Legend - June 2014

Carnival Legend Cruise Review by PeachAero

PeachAero’s Full Rating Summary

Oceanview stateroom with private balcony and king bed. Spacious, comfortable accommodations. Ample drawer and closet space, private facilities (shower, basin and toilet), telephone and color television.

Carnival Legend Deck Plans