3. Costa Magica
Just returned from a Costa Western Caribbean 8 day cruise, we visited Cozumel,Ocho Rios, Grand Turks and Caicos from 2/11 - 2/18/2007. My fourth cruise in 2 yrs, but the first on this line. Embarkation: This was the best on any cruise I have taken! For 5 of us it took approx 30 min before we were on board and about and an hour in the buffet before we were in our rooms. Rooms: This was my first time in an inside cabin, I thought I would be claustrophobic but I wasn't. The inside cabins were spacious for 2 women and like a dorm room. The beds were hard but not a problem, we asked for extra pillows and we had them by the end of the night. Our steward kept us with fresh towels, soap, turn down service and was overall very good. Food: Breakfast was very good. A lot of choices, cereal, eggs, fruit, meats, danish and probably the best meal of the day. Lunch left a lot to be desired.....the usual hot dogs/hamburgers/fries the best that was offered. The buffet left you wanting to eat at whatever port you were in, usually cold and left over from the night before. Dinner, don't eat at the buffet, take your chances with the dining room and good luck. I left my food on the table in the dining room on night 3, had a better meal at Jack-in-the box. After a taste bud adjustment, I read the menu before going to the main dining room. The meals are served 5 courses with pasta as the 3rd dish, one can only eat so much pasta with alfredo sauce before you feel your arteries harden. Only 2 meals in 8 days has a tomato based marinara sauce. Lunch and dinner buffet was poor, how much pizza dripping in olive oil can one eat? Bread is abundant and tasteless, salads were generic and wilted and DO NOT..REPEAT do not eat the Cesar Salad w/ dressing unless you want swimming wilted lettuce!!!! My Biggest Problem: This was a Western Caribbean cruise and the ice machines worked twice while on an 8 day cruise. Not 2 days, but only twice in 8 days, period. You were expected to get your ice from an ice chest with an ice shovel that was handled by every passenger on the ship who wanted ice at that seating and who handled the ice shovel with bare, unwashed hands while eating, and let the ice shovel drop back into the ice chest until the next person with unwashed hands desired ice. There were no stewards around the ice chest nor any hand disinfection stations anywhere near the food, ice or water station. It was like a big old "whatever your hygiene fails to be, let us infect you" station. Regardless to say we went without ice at the buffet for 8 days. In Closing: There is much more I could say, but will not. Let it suffice to say that I nor anyone I am associated with will ever sail Costa Cruise Lines again. They may be the cheaper of the lines but not worth your health or dignity. Basically, you get what you pay for.....you will get much more than you bargained for and it really isn't worth it. Sail with a reputable line, the European lines don't want Americans and go out of their way to make sure we (Americans) know that.

CostaMagica - Western Caribbean