Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review
1,939 Reviews

First time (and probably last time) cruiser

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by joyrun

• Sail Date: Jun 2014
  • Destination: Greece

We probably would have been happier on a smaller ship with less passengers, and a slightly shorter cruise. As first-time cruisers, we were overall satisfied with the Celebrity Silhouette and found that everything promised was there and often more. Celebrity—and being on a cruise—makes it easy to travel and have lots of conveniences and not have to worry about too much. The Silhouette is a lovely ship with elegant design and thoughtful features throughout, as well as interesting displays of artwork at every turn. I was surprised and happy with how comfortable our veranda cabin was. I found the crew and staff to be professional, fun to talk to, warm and friendly. Too many of the passengers, however, were not friendly. Would not say good morning (ok, ignored them too.) Priviledged people not moving aside in the elevator (we took the stairs more.) During peak times at breakfast and lunch, the 14th level cafe "resembled feeding time at the zoo" (I’m quoting a fellow passenger.) Didn’t love running into empty glasses and plates from the bars and buffet left on public ledges, by the artwork displays, around the pool, and I wish Celebrity did a better job removing that stuff. I saw it too often to be considered “modern luxury” in my book.

We enjoyed our meals in the Cuvee dining room and I found the SPE Certified dishes at dinner to be quite elegant and delicious and healthier. Food was always beautifully plated, our servers efficient and unobtrusive, and we were glad to be able to dine alone when we wanted to. Overall the food, especially in the Casual Dining buffet, was a tad bland and seemed to be prepared in the USA. I was hoping for a more European experience, felt the need to kick it up a notch overall. We decided early on not to use the specialty dining venues because for the additional cost it would be nothing different than what we can find at home in NYC. Instead, we opted for great lunches when in port, and for that expense, we had memorial meals off the ship that had all the local flavor I was looking for—even at the most touristy stops. We purchased a premium non-alcoholic drink package, and hard to say if it was worth it or not, but we easily got water, soda, and decent coffee.

Very pleased with our 9th floor veranda cabin. Would like to install that bathroom into our home!

Embarkation was handled quickly, professionally and we got on the ship pronto and got very excited to be there. Disembarkation, however, was another story. Just another large group mad rush (with lots of luggage) with not enough help from the shore staff (non Celebrity, I think) and we were all on our own to fend for ourself.

Entertainment and activities: The few shows we attended in the Theater had high production values, one had a Cirque du Soleil theme, but like the dining, had a bland, Americanized feel. The lounge music channeled Lawrence Welk and we avoided. The one activity I attended, a tour of the kitchens, ending up with a sales pitch to dine at the specialty restaurants. The sales pitches: we knew we were on a floating resort, and that photographs, stores, various sales pitches would be lobbed at us. We just ignored them, but there were a lot of them.

Our favorite moment: the sail into Venice. Beautiful Italian music, old and new, played in the background while we all silently stood by the railings on the upper decks and watched the city come in to view. Well done, Celebrity. I will remember this moment.

Summary: Celebrity provided a very convenient, comfortable, somewhat bland, not terribly adventurous American-feel experience. Glad we went, glad we got to experience this cruise and the ports, enjoyed the convenience of this ship, but it probably will not be our preferred method of travel in the future.

joyrun's Full Rating Summary

Attractive, well-designed, with lots of places to stow stuff. Slept very well on the comfortable bed, in this sound-proof room. Aside from our neighbor slamming his door in the a.m., we rarely heard anything to wake us up. Bathroom was surprisingly roomy and efficient, with a shower that delivered hot water quickly and with good pressure. I’d like to put that bathroom in to my home! We had a roomy couch by the veranda glass doors, so could watch (limited) TV or stare out at the view. Spent a lot of time on the veranda, too. Our room attendants were available by phone or just being in the hallway, and Elvis was quite a character and we shared our love of FIFA soccer and Elvis always had the current game tuned to the TV in the evening for us!

joyrun