• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

steeragelady
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Apr 2014
Cabin:

I have cruised well over 300 days with five different cruise lines. I would not define this cruise as a true trans Atlantic experience but as a repositioning crossing the Atlantic. The venues for daytime were too small to accommodate the passengers. One would have to arrive at the Cinema at least an hour early to get a seat. It wasn't much better for the performances in the other theatre in the evening. They played the same 3 or 4 movies over again and again from the ta to the Baltic. The acrobatic act was held in the Centrum, which again one would have to grab a seat way early or end up trying to see over everyone standing. The Brilliance had one lecturer for the crossing. It is obvious the money is spent on nightly entertainment which was very good but made for some real long days.

I boarded in Boston but paid as I should for the cruise from Tampa. When I went to the dining room on my first night I was behind another woman who had just come on the ship. We were told even though we both had confirmed early dining we were out of luck because the My Time Dining folks had filled our seats. After I persisited to get a seat he finally found me a table. The other woman had walked away in a fury.Nothing says welcome more than a curt greeting like his. Ironically I ended up for half of my dinners in the Windjammer because I found the food so bad in the main dinning room. I have never preferred the WJ but the Mongolian stir fry was better than most dishes served. I had maybe 3 beef entrees and the same with the chicken that were OK in the dinning room. The wait table staff were very accomadating but they do not prepare the food. Is the food so bad in the dinning room because there are hoping that you will go to the alternative restaurants for a sizeable fee for a decent meal?

Any passenger who has gone to another ships Library is in for a real shock on the Brilliance. The Library consists of one ugly, small breakfront with a few very used paperbacks. I know the noro excuse about books available but this was before the sickness struck. Having a decent selection of books helps for a crossing. I did take a picture of the library sign and the bookcase for laughs.

previous reviewnext review