• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise

eabaird@netzero.net
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: May 2014
Cabin:

Although the cancellation of 3 ports was unavoidable, the delayed timing was later than was needed to cancel without a large loss. The included air far gave us such bad connections that we had to pay $175/pp deviation & another $100/pp = $275/pp to get reasonable flights. Beware. They hold the cards. Although I was assure that our 40 minute transfer time in Munich was no problem, it was a disaster with our names called to say we were to go to a gate as we ran up 3 flights of stairs(no escalators), through a very slow security line & along a very lengthy corridor. Thank God they held the flight. I think one other couple didn't make it. We upgraded to a Concierge Level & then learned that there was 1 concierge in the lobby for everyone!! Beware. We were forwarned about needing a Turkish visa & they were collected as we boarded. 2 days prior to the port of Socchi we were told we needed a Russian visa unless we took an excursion with Oceania. Their excursions are overpriced but it was also a complete loss. The 4 hour tour($195) lasted 3.25 hours. The visit to Stalin's Dacha included 45 minutes in a room waiting for 40 people to use 1 washroom. The spa visit was 35 minutes standing outside looking at a building. Everyone expected to go in but it didn't happen. One of the excursion reps was with us & agreed that it was a short tour with problems. The excursion dept got back bad news from Miami. Too bad! The concierge, Diego, & the Destinations person, Jenn, were very busy contacting Miami head office but I talked to no one who received any satisfaction. And complain we did. I thought it was about to be a mutiny. Oceania told their staff not to talk about the problems. I have cruised over 750 days with many companies but had more problems & least satisfaction on this 13 day Oceania cruise than on all others combined. I love Azamara & the small ships but Oceania will never be an option again. In all the terrible flight connections with expensive additions, the no Concierge upgrade, the lack of Russian visa info, the delayed cancellations of ports, the shortened, expensive uninteresting excursion, the lack of any positive response from Miami made for a memorable cruise but most of them negative. How low can I rate this?

A typical balcony cabin with a nice bed & bed linens. Not very large but OK.

1 Helpful Vote