3. Norwegian Jewel

I had a mini-suite stateroom. When I first walked into the room, I was so pleased. It was a beautiful room, spacious, very clean and a nice size bathroom. Ok, I paid extra for a little larger room. Unfortunately, that was about the first and only highlight of being on board the Jewel. The buffet situation quite frankly is a disgrace. There is no crowd control mechanism and everyone is just running around with no organization whatsoever; just total chaos. And if that isn't bad enough, once you fought your way through the food troughs, most times there was no place to sit. After folks eat, they sit there; with no regard for others who would also like to have a table to eat their meal. It was literally cut throat to find a table. So I tried a couple of the other dining rooms. On both occasions, the food was not even mediocre. The safety information provided was a joke. They round up everyone into theatres and show you how to put on a life jacket. That's it. I left that 5 minute presentation wondering what do I do, where do I go in the event of emergency. I realize that's not real likely but for example, how many times have cruise ships caught on fire? Now some people actually like to relax in their rooms, and for example, watch a movie. What? Not even a DVD player, and the channels offered were sad. A couple of times I walked through the casino as I thought it would be fun to play for a bit. Well that was a mistake. There was so much smoke in there that you could not breathe, far worse than a Vegas casino. I think most smokers, whether gambling or not, hung out in the casino. I am glad I had some fun excursions booked so I was able to get off the ship and leave the masses, particularly the people in the buffets, behind for a while.

A major disappointment

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by lunapupnv

• Sail Date: June 2014
  • Destination: Alaska

lunapupnv’s Full Rating Summary

My stateroom was outstanding.

Norwegian Jewel Deck Plans

• Victoria

I did not take an excursion this time. On a previous cruise, the ship I was on also stopped in Victoria. There is not much to do there and quite frankly it is a total waste of time going there. After you board a bus and do a city tour, that's pretty much it. It appears most of the cruise lines use Victoria as a port of call. I suppose the thought process is if the ship makes it to Victoria the day before it is due in Seattle, it won't be late to pick up another group of new passengers.

View All 958 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews