Regal Princess Cruise Review
1,594 Reviews

Terrific Time - But Avoid the Spa!

Regal Princess Cruise Review by dwfillli

• Sail Date: May 2014
  • Destination: the Mediterranean

THE GOOD: We had a terrific time! The ship was brand new, so it was a little like taking a new car out to drive for the first time! The ship's crew always treated us with the utmost care and professionalism. The ship itself was designed for a good time, with a gorgeous promenade, superb pool and hot tub options, and really fun things to do like the observation walk over the water, movies under the stars, batting cages, basketball courts, and many other great things to do. Onboard entertainment exceeded my expectations, and of course the food was the best I've ever had. I was pleasantly surprised how many very healthy eating options were available! My companion is gluten-free, and Princess did a wonderful job ensuring she had excellent dining options. I was also very pleasantly surprised that Princess did all they could to make the port visits fun BOTH for those taking advantage of their paid excursions AND for those of us who prefer to visit the ports on our own. Princess offered pre-docking "briefings" explaining how to enjoy the port visits on our own, including transportation options, and made these briefings available on TV in the state rooms. The state room we booked had a nice big balcony, and was well appointed inside. There were virtually no lines for anything on the ship - plenty of fitness machines, deck chairs, seating at restaurants and buffet - you name it. Just walk up and do it! No waiting!

THE BAD: We were disappointed with the quality and value of the on-board Internet connection. The connection was astonishingly slow - we only averaged about one Mbyte per MINUTE! And that matters, because you buy on-board Internet service by the minute, not by the bandwidth. It's maddening to pay top dollar for access based on time, and spend most of that time waiting, waiting, waiting for something to happen on the screen. Anyone under about the age of 60 cares about being connected these days, and the cruise industry had better get that message.

Also, I strongly recommend avoiding the Spa services. They are extremely pushy, and use high-pressure tactics (bordering on bullying) to sell overpriced services and products. The table was so hot for my companion that visible burn marks were left on her belly for days. Also, I was just kind of lost in their spa - I and other men were utterly confused by the lockers - we just didn't know how to use them until a fellow passenger showed us how, and I found myself wandering around in the public area in my gown because the staff didn't show me where to go.

Still - the cruise was an overall VERY positive experience, and I hope to book another Princess cruise someday!

dwfillli's Full Rating Summary