• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2014
Cabin:

I just spent a week on this ship in early May and I loved it! This is a very nice ship. From the main lobby, to the room, outside decks, theatre, club, restaurants to teh staff etc. The food was amazing. Nothing was a "good enough facsimile". The food was just great! Even the buffet had enough options, including the Mediterranean and Ethnic Corners, that were done well. "Caffe Italia" was a nice little cafe that made proper Italian coffee. The wine selection was quite good at the restaurants. I cannot recall the name of the restaurant but on deck 7 (or was it deck 6?) they had a restaurant that made authentic Italian pizza like they do in Italy. The "Galaxy Night Club" on deck 16 was a rockin' place every night. The deejay actually did spin some good tracks and had the crowd in a groove. Mind you some nights like the last night, there weren't as many people there. The staff were very attentive to your needs and very cheerful and knowledgeable. I'm a photographer and had my equipment with me and had nice chats with the photographers on-board. As well I had a chance with a couple of friends to meet the Captain, Pier Paolo Scalla, and he sat with us for a considerable amount of time and chatted with us from everything about the ship to his childhood. From the chat it was obvious to me, the Captain's personality and expectations are evident in his staff. I would recommend this ship and would sail on it again!

I had an Interior Cabin with a mini bar and safe. As a single person, this was perfect for me. Enough room for all my things. The bed was comfortable. It had individual temperature settings for the room as well as a safe. I should mention I am not a big person, I am 5'7" and 150lbs. So the room and bathroom were not an issue for me. Anyone bigger than me, may want to think about a bigger room or if you are two people. I basically just used my room to sleep and store my stuff. Apart from that I tried not to spend a lot of time in my room!

Port Reviews

St. Maarten

I spent the day with some friends at Maho Beach on the Dutch side. This is the beach just at the edge of Princess Juliana International Airport. So we saw many planes land while we were on the beach. I would recommend it just for the planes! However, the beach is nice, the sand is fine and not hot on your feet even though the temperature was hot, about 30 Celsius. The water was blue and, clear and warm. This is a popular and busy beach, so if you want quiter beach, you may want to go elsewhere. Other than that, I just spent some time around the docks and visited some stores and vendors. I had my first coconut smoothie there and I would recommend it to anyone!

San Juan

I did a walk around Old San Juan and San Juan myself. I picked up a map and took my time. I had a coffee at a little outdoor cafe in the heart of Old San Juan, visited Don Collins Cigar Shop, chatted with locals etc. In short I did not take the tourist excursions. It was a nice fun and relaxing day.

Great Stirrup Cay

This was a private island (owned by Norwegian Cruise Lines) that we were on. The beach and waters were amazing! I practically stayed in the water for as long as I could! We had to come ashore on Tenders (smaller boats) as there was no place for the ship to dock. Just walk a bit further away from where the Tenders drop you off and you will find a enough beach to make your own for the day. You can stay with crowds or go further to be by yourself. There are cabanas and tents to rent if you want some shade. They setup a barbecue for lunch which was good. Though I wish it had stayed open longer. Having said that I understand they needed to bring all the food, drinks, equipment etc. from the ship to the island and then take it all back.

3 Helpful Votes