CYBER MONDAY DEALS! Get discounts on top-rated cruises. View Deals

speedo232
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Jan 2007
Cabin: Mid-Ship Inside

I had read some reviews of this cruise that were not very complimentary, so I was a little concerned, but I didn't tell anyone. My lady and I got a ride to the pier from nearby New Jersey. It took less than 30 minutes, door-to-door. We left our luggage with the luggage people and entered the very large waiting room at 12:30. There were already hundreds of people there. I thought that we had arrived too early! We had sailed on the NCL Jewel last July and are Latitudes members. When I asked about the special boarding for members, I was told that we were too late. The only real disadvantage was that we had to stand on line instead of sitting in chairs. When the line started moving, we found a special entrance for Latitudes members and that cut our wait very short. We boarded about 50 minutes after entering the pier.

There were signs up saying that the cabins would be ready at 3:00, so the first thing we did was to make dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants. We had to go to each one because the central reservation area was not open yet. We booked Cagney's for the first night, Le Bistro for the second and Bamboo for the third, all at the early bird, half price time of 6:00pm. You can also book at 5:30 if you wish the special price. Then about 2:00 there was an announcement that the cabins were ready. An hour early! We went to our cabin, which was as we expected, small but comfortable. We like the inside cabin for two reasons: one is the very reasonable price and the other is that is totally dark at all times, allowing one to sleep without being awakened by the sun.

Then off to sit in the Spinnaker Bar, a very large room forward on deck 12, with many large windows to watch NYC go away. Speaking of the Spinnaker, the one major criticism of this ship was the cigarette smoke. Too much smoking allowed in the bars and you could smell it in the corridors.

Mid-Ship Inside