3. Navigator of the Seas
First I would like to say that this is my third time to sail on Navigator of the Seas and I was very pleased with the fresh look after the February dry dock. The flat screen TV's, carpets, drapes, furniture - all was in excellent condition and very nicely decorated, although we found it strange that RCCL did away with the coffee tables in all the staterooms, so we brought our own small plastic folding tables. The outdoor furniture on our balcony was obviously not new - rusted on the legs, but that is a minor detail as far as I am concerned; just an observation. We have done a “girls cruise” every year on RCCL since 1996, so this was our annual cruise. We are C&A DP members & had connecting Jr. Suites on Deck 9 - 9330 & 9334. We had dinner at Chops (bogo first night), Izumi and Sabor. It was my first experience at Sabor and hands down our favorite. The best food we’ve ever experienced on a cruise ship. The wait staff was wonderful and very informative in helping us to select our meal. It was also my first experience at Izumi and we enjoyed it very much. Excellent service and food. Chops was good - they always have good steaks & service. Did not make it to Giovanni’s or Johnny Rockets. Tried to have lunch at JR, but there were LOTS of families on this cruise with children so the wait line was more than we wanted to invest in. I have no complaints about our Jr. Suites (except no coffee table for room service). Everything was as it should be. Otto was our cabin steward and very good - almost like a ghost. You would go out for breakfast and the room was sparkling clean as soon as you returned, the same with dinner. I enjoyed listening to him sing as he worked hard to ensure we all had perfectly clean staterooms. This was my first My Time Dining experience and probably will be the last. We did Chops bogo the first night, which usually is the worst night in the main dining room anyway because of all the chaos. The second night we arrived right at 7:45, our reserved time for MTD. We waited about 15 minutes then were seated at 8:00. By 8:30 all we had was bread & water - no menus and nobody had come by to take drink orders. We flagged down a head waiter who took our drink order and managed to get our waiter to bring us menus. The food that night was luke-warm. Nothing memorable about this meal other than how bad the service was. The third night we had reservations at Izumi. That morning we went to the Customer Service desk and complained about our MTD experience and said we would chose to dine in the specialty restaurants the rest of the week and refuse to pay gratuities for both MTD and specialty dining. The assistant dining room manager came to speak to us, and as fate would have it, he was one of our favorite waiters from several years ago on Adventure of the Seas. He asked us to give MTD another chance, which we did. The fourth, fifth and sevenths nights we did MTD and had excellent wait staff, but still had to wait in line to get a table anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes, which I find unacceptable. I can’t fault the wait staff in any way for this, but the people managing the MTD at the front were not able to keep the flow of passengers moving. The ports we visited were Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. In Roatan we only shopped at the small area off the ship. There had been a travel advisory issued because of a crew member from another cruise line who had recently been killed in Roatan, and we felt playing it safe was the way we wanted to go. In Belieze we shopped and rode the calypso train, The employees selling the tickets informed us that RCCL owns the train. If you were on a RCCL ship, the ticket was $34.00 pp. If you were on Carnival it was $25.00 pp. We had to show our cruise card so we could not fib and say we were on Carnival to get the cheaper price. I don't understand the variation in pricing at all. The calypso train was interesting. We saw some nice homes and some very poor areas, but did not feel unsafe at any time. In Cozumel, this was our favorite port. We went to Mr Sancho’s all inclusive day resort. All you can eat & drink. It has a pool with swim up bar, beach, loungers & sun beds and for the kids there is a water play area with slides, etc for an additional fee. It was a perfect day and everyone I talked to who went loved it. We got a mini van taxi and for 5 people it was $21 total each way, about 15-20 minutes ride. I cannot say enough good things about Mr Sancho’s and I certainly would go there again. The service was top notch. Disembarkation was very, very slow. As we are Diamond Plus, we were in the second group to leave the ship after the people who took off their own luggage. BTW, when they say to have your luggage out by 11:00 PM the night before disembarkation, they mean it. At 11:05, I peeked out into the hallway and not a piece of luggage to be found. We were to leave at 9:30 from the Star Lounge. At about 9:20 they led us to get off the ship. Once we swiped our cards for the last time, we stood and waited, moved onto the sky bridge, stood and waited. Moved to the hallway, stood and waited. Once we made it to the baggage claim, we went to the line for porters, got 2 of them, they picked up our bags & took us to the customs line. We got through customs rather quickly, then the porters took our bags to the Lighthouse Parking shuttle. After we were loaded up and headed out of the Lighthouse Parking Lot, it was 10:45. I don’t think RCCL is to blame for the snails pace once off the ship. I am sure they are anxious to get everyone off so that they can start bringing on the next passengers. Over all it was a good cruise and with the exception of MTD we enjoyed it very much. I've already booked another cruise on Navigator for March 2015, so needless to say, will return to this ship.

Navigator of the Seas, Easter Sailing