• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

gerempi@nb.sympatico.ca
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Mar 2014
Cabin:

We have done three cruises all with the Holland America Line (Eastern Caribbean on the Eurodam; Alaska on the Volendam; Eastern Caribbean on the Westerdam (during the week of March 15th to 22nd) so we are unqualified to make comparisons to other cruise lines. However it behooves us as to what possibly could be done in the way of improvements. If we could choose everything to suit our own personal tastes with no considerations for other cruisers changes particularly in the entertainment would be made. However all of the cruise lines have to balance their offerings to satisfy a wide range of preferences unless of course it’s designed to cater to a certain more specialized group such as perhaps the Disney cruises.

I’ve read reviews that I just can’t believe to be accurate; but some people could teach a PHD course in complaining and criticizing. I can appreciate an occasional glitch here and there but a whole cruise being terrible just can’t be believed. A friend experienced rain on only the first day of his 2-week vacation but was so negative about it he said his whole vacation was 'rained out'.

One reviewer allowed the food was terrible, the staff couldn’t speak English, the staff was unfriendly, the rooms and the ship as a whole were dirty, etc….in short nothing was even remotely good. Some of these criticisms were of precisely the same cruises I was on. Granted they didn’t share our room nor did we share their room and perhaps they didn’t have our attendants but I can assure you we experienced nothing about which we could complain or criticize. Our room wasn’t dirty. If my wife says it wasn’t dirty IT WASN’T DIRTY because she’ll often personally test areas for cleanliness with a damp cloth.

The cabin was perfect and the two attendants (I wish I remembered their names) were equally so.

2 Helpful Votes