3. Carnival Magic
I had only been waiting 11 months, 8 days, 32 minutes, and 16 seconds for this day to arrive. Finally, the time for my husband and I to embark on our two-year anniversary cruise with Carnival. This was our third cruise, but we were still as excited as our first. I had just clocked out of work at 7:30 am and was ready to head out to Galveston. As my husband began to load the luggage I sat at the kitchen table and reminisced on all the wonderful places we already visited in the Caribbean. Suddenly I hear a familiar song playing in the background. I grabbed my freshly brewed coffee and headed out the door only to find my husband with both car doors open and the radio flaring to the Jimmy Buffet song “Margaritaville.” “Roman, turn that music down it is a Sunday and it is 7:45 am. Not everyone is going on vacation babe,” I said as I locked the house door. In no time I could see the enormous Carnival Magic ship. We arrived to the port parking and were picked up by the friendly driver of a shuttle bus. “ Are you ready for your vacation?” he asked me. “ More than ever!” I said. We checked in and headed to our room. I put my luggage to the side and threw myself on the bed. This by far had to be the best room we ever had. The room was huge, compared to the other balcony suites we had stayed in. I began to unpack our clothes and gave up after 5 minutes. My husband and I headed up to deck ten for lunch. Music was playing and we could smell the chlorine from both of the pools near our area. “What should we eat?” I asked my husband. “I am dying for Mongolian” he said. “Mongolian it is then.” As we were in line we could smell the Thai barbeque sauce as it sizzled in the skillet. While the wait was 15 to 20 minutes, the food was worth the wait. The horn sounded as I placed our food on the table. “Hello everyone! This is your captain speaking. We are now departing the port and your vacation has officially begun.” I looked over the itinerary for the day. Since we were going to be at sea for the next two days might as well find some fun things to do onboard. The first night and decided to check out the casino. My husband and I are not much of gamblers, but love to watch other people play and cheer them on when they are winning. “Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding” sounded as we walked pass the quarter machines. The casino sure was busy, and everyone had huge smiles on their faces, even those who were not winning. We stayed in the casino for about 2 hours and then headed to the room to get ready for dinner. On Wednesday we arrived in Montego Bay, Jamaica. At 7 am we were lined up ready to go, but so was every other passenger on the ship. There were at least 500 people in front of us, but we were in no rush since our excursion would not begin until 9 am. As we walked out onto Jamaican ground I heard reggae music coming from a nearby building. Jamaica, I already loved it! We headed out to Dunn River Falls to embark on the 600 ft climb up the waterfall. The water was cold, but felt wonderful once we got use to it. The climb was a challenge, but the view was spectacular. At about midpoint we gazed down and could see the water rapidly moving down each rock and splashing beautifully once it hit the bottom of the fall. The climb took about 50 minutes to complete, but what a wonderful accomplishment. The next day we arrived at Grand Cayman Island. The water was crystal clear that we could see the fish swimming while on the ferry making our way to the island. Upon arrival we met with our tour guide who would take us on our excursion that consisted of swimming with stingrays and snorkeling. We arrived at the Stingray Sand Bar and entered the Caribbean waters. While my husband was freaking out to make sure that the stingrays did not swim near him, I was the complete opposite. A huge stingray swam right beside me and brushed against my back. The day ended with a little bit of snorkeling with views of the spectacular coral reef. I could taste the salt water when I swam deeper and forgot to take off the snorkeling gear. Then, on Friday we arrived in Cozumel. We stepped out the ship and could smell the tacos sizzling at the nearby taco shop. Unfortunately, there was no time to stop since we had to make our way to the ferry that would lead us to the Mayan Ruins of Tulum. As we got on the ship there was a short Mexican man with a thick accent shouting “ Margaritas, tequila, beer, Mexican holy water…” It felt so good to visit Mexico again. The boat ride to Playa Del Carmen was pure torture. Well, if you would enjoy riding the Titan this may have just been the best 45 minutes ever. The waves were so intense that I felt as if my stomach was left on the floor by the end of ride. I was not looking forward to the ride back. Once we got to Playa Del Carmen it was an hour ride to Tulum. However, once we arrived the history and beauty that the ruins held was stunning. It was amazing to witness the creations of the Mayans. Not to mention that the ruins are right near a beach. Before we knew it the cruise was coming to an end. We could not wait to get back home and book our next cruise. We ate our last dinner on the deck and watched the sun set over the vast ocean. We could see all the stars in the sky perfectly and enjoyed the fresh smell of fruit that was being served at the nearby buffet. “Carnival has done it again!” This was defiantly a trip we will never forget!

Cruising the Caribbean