Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Two thumbs up!

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by dreamchaser99

• Sail Date: Mar 2014
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

Our experience on the Norwegian Jewel was fantastic. I am raving about freestyle cruising and absolutely love the concept. We did spend an extra 20 bucks each one night for the Teppanyaki restaurant and it was well worth it. The service on the ship was the best I've experienced in the industry thus far after 10 cruises on four different cruise lines. The NCL officers, staff, and crew were warm, welcoming, helpful, fun, and made customer service a top priority. Very impressive. I would love to go on another NCL cruise someday. While the ship is not really new (built in 2005 I think), it is well maintained and still sparkles in most areas throughout the interior. As an engineer, I must say in my humble opinion that the German built ships such as the Jewel have noticeably better quality, finish, materials, and workmanship than their Italian and French built counterparts. I must admit that this is the geek in me coming out, so others may not care as much or pay attention to the engineering quality, etc.

Overall, we had a wonderful experience and enjoyed New Orleans too. It was fun to be on the Mississippi River for several hours departing and returning. The only downside that I will mention is that the Captain, for reasons he explained as weather related, decided to not dock at Costa Maya. So, we only got three of our four stops. I am still baffled by the decision as the wind and waves were not bad at all, and it was 80 degrees and sunny. The other three stops were just great though!

dreamchaser99's Full Rating Summary

The room was very snug but super comfortable. The obstructed view allowed natural daylight into the room with nice glimpses of the water and sky. It's the same size and layout as a regular ocean view cabin. We liked the ample shower with full glass door. The closet and drawer spaces were decent. In the late evenings we could hear the karaoke from the club below, but it wasn't all that bothersome. The pull down bunk for one of the kids was convenient.

dreamchaser99