• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions

Serenade of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
12 Awards

Bland Food. Short Ports. Missed Private Island.

Review for Serenade of the Seas to the Bahamas
nantol
2-5 Cruises • Age 30s

Sail Date: Mar 2014
Cabin:
Traveled with children

I've cruised on Carnival and Celebrity in the past and thought RC's Serenade of the Seas was a couple of steps down from my other cruise experiences. The food was bland and usually overcooked, the port stops were way too short and we missed our private island stop entirely. According to the staff, they had been missing the stop for weeks on end. I wish I had done better research because I would have chosen another destination had I known that CocoKay had about a 50% track record.

We had a ninth deck stateroom with a balcony, which was lovely. Our steward was great, the staff was very accommodating and the dining service was excellent -- far better than the food. In the dining room you could order a dried out, overcooked, thin strip steak (I ordered rare and got well done) or you could pay an extra $13 for a "good" steak. The add-on sales tactics were insulting.

Because we missed our private island stop, we were at sea (a very rough sea) for more than 72 hours. The first at sea day was freezing, and despite the policy written on Royal Caribbean's website stating that they would let the kids use the solarium pool in inclement weather, the staff refused to let the kids in. We had to shiver on deck while droves of kids crowded into the two hot tubs. Meanwhile, the solarium pool was warm and completely empty. Apparently high winds, rain and cold temps aren't inclement enough to execute a written policy.

The room was great. Plenty of storage for two kids and two adults. We had a pullout bed and a king bed but we would have preferred the bunk beds that pull out from the ceiling. Our travel companions in had the bunk beds but only one child. The balcony was a lovely addition, and we used it often. Shower pressure was great and bathroom storage ample. All in all, great room.

Port Reviews

Perfect Day at CocoCay

We did not visit Cococay due to high seas. Staff told me that they had missed this port for weeks at a time. Royal Carribbean should make an alternate stop back in Key West, since we pass it so closely. Being at sea for three days in a row stinks.

Find a Serenade of the Seas Cruise from $252