• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Carnival Sunshine Review

Editor Rating
8 Awards

Carnival Sunshine… Great Cruise but…

Review for Carnival Sunshine to the Western Caribbean
kenandteri
6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Mar 2014
Cabin:
Traveled with children

Just returned home last night from a 7-night cruise on the Sunshine to the western ports of Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. This was a family and friends cruise for us over spring break with 13 people in our group.

Overall it was a great cruise – primarily because of the people we were with. Many in our group had never cruised before, so it was great doing things with them and seeing things from that perspective (DH and I have cruised 10 times, 9 on Carnival). Obviously, with 9 cruises on Carnival, we don’t have a problem with the Cruise line itself, but I have to say I’m in no hurry to get back on board the Sunshine. This was our first time on a ship with the 2.0 upgrades and we have mixed reviews on them.

Embarkation (Port of New Orleans). No problems at all with embarkation – very little waiting in line – from time we arrived at port till we were on the ship took about an hour – but 20 minutes of that was spent waiting for the drivers to get back from parking the cars. Only complaint was that some of our smuggled alcohol as confiscated – and really, I shouldn’t complain about that!

We had cabin 7271 – an inside cabin. I have to say this felt like the smallest cabin I have ever had on a Carnival ship. There were 3 of us, with a pull down bed. Very little counter space, no shelf in the closet as in other rooms, and the bathroom was so small it was hard to use the toilet without having a foot in the shower. Our shower wasn’t draining properly on the first night, but a quick stop to guest services had it fixed before we got back from dinner. However, one in our party had a cabin on the 3rd level, which I think may be one of the newly added rooms and it was HUGE!

Find a Carnival Sunshine Cruise from $199