CYBER MONDAY DEALS! Get discounts on top-rated cruises. View Deals

First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Mar 2014
Cabin:

Margaret and I have a couple of friends who seem to be on cruises all the time, so we had become curious about the experience. However, having sat on Riva deli Schiavoni in Venice with a cold glass of something white and Italian, watching packs of tourists from one of the large cruise ships being dragged towards Plazza San Marco by a brolly wielding guide, we had decided it probably wasn’t for us.

So when we stumbled across the Star Clipper cruises, we realised there might be a way we could cruise and have a relaxing time, and the icing on the cake (at least for me) was that this was a ship with sails….and it actually sailed. Margaret was perhaps not so keen on this latter characteristic of the cruise, since I had taken her sailing a couple of years ago and I’m not sure she has yet forgiven me for the competitive nature of my “requests” to haul in the jib during the charity regatta we found ourselves in!

But it was the Caribbean, it was warm and it looked beautiful, so the Treasure Island cruise was duly booked.

A jacuzzi in the bathroom - beautifully fitted, mahogany and brass everywhere - comfortable bed - plenty of storage - all in all for a ship a pretty nice space. Perhaps the only slight criticism would be that the air-conditioning was quite up to snuff, how's that for a 1st world problem :-)

4 Helpful Votes