• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

HankBuckley
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Sail Date: Mar 2014
Cabin:

We had never been on a cruise before. This was a good one to start with. 3 days at sea and 5 ports. It was a mostly older crowd. The staff was lovely and so was the weather!

Having never cruised before, I have nothing to compare it to. However, my only complaint would be the food. While there is quantity (you can as eat as much as you want, whenever you want) there is very little quality. If your idea of a good restaurant is The Old Country Buffet or The Olive Garden, you will be fine. We were just used to a little higher standard - in both dining out and the meals we make at home. The only food we had that was really excellent was in the Crown Grill (for which you have to pay extra).

Also, the coffee at the buffet is terrible. I tolerated it on the mornings that I had to, but did get real brewed coffee in the restaurants and from the coffee bar (had to pay extra) more than once. I'm not a coffee snob by any means, but what they serve you at the buffet and for room service is not good.

Nice room. Room decor is a little dated compared to the rest of the ship. Excellent room steward kept it clean and was very accommodating and unobtrusive to our varying daily schedule.I will say that having a balcony on THIS floor is perfect. The floors below have a larger balcony that extends beyond our floor - so everyone above can see onto your balcony. I liked the privacy of the smaller balcony on the Baja Deck.

Port Reviews

St. Thomas

We took a taxi to downtown St Thomas and quickly realized that other than 50,000 jewelry stores, there was nothing there. We then took a taxi to the ferry and went over to Trunk Bay on St Johns. I'm so glad we did...It is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen!! I only wish we could have spent more than 2 hours there, but because of where the Emerald Princess docks, it is a long and rather costly commute (45min taxi, 40min ferry, 15min taxi, and a park entrance fee). There is a ferry closer to where Princess docks, but unfortunately, the return trip is too late in the day. The 2 hours we got to spend at Trunk Bay were worth every penny and minute of the commute!

previous reviewnext review