Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by jcjorgensen
- Sail Date: March 2014
- Destination: Western Caribbean
1. The ship reminds me of a trip to Disney World. Your ticket is the only thing that is cheap, everything is an upcharge. Lots of places to eat other than the buffet lines which is great, but 80% of them are an upcharge. Speaking of the buffets, if you are traveling with children who live off of chicken fingers/nuggets, choose a different ship. If you like pizza and small sandwiches, you will love this ship. We didn't feel like paying the money to eat anywhere else on the ship so our experience was in Windjammer and Opus. We did enjoy breakfast but would not recommend for lunch or dinner, food was not good. We did enjoy the Opus dining room, service was much better and after they learned what we liked by night two, the experience was excellent. They were also great with kids and catered to them, if you have travelled with children and take them with you on a formal night, you will know what I mean.
2. The ports. Labadee is actually quite nice but when you read the reviews about the beach and the necessity for water shoes, pay attention. One side of the area is extremely rocky, so much so that even hardened dad would not walk into the water, you will twist your ankle and cut your feet up. Luckily we brought water shoes so it wasn't bad. Stick to the beach next to the aquatic area, it is better and get there early. Chairs go quick and it gets crowded. No shopping at all but plenty of shore excursions and food is provided off of the ship! Good job RCI on this one.
3. Falmouth, Jamaica. Be careful and don't go off alone. Heard two other groups complain of getting 'jacked' in Jamaica. If there is one port to do the shore excursions, this one is it. There is lots of RCI shopping on their port but once you leave the port, you have one block of shanty shops and then people will take advantage of you. The port is new, at least that is what RCI told us, and is still getting developed. Choose an RCI excursion for this is also not the port to go it on your own. Really wished they ported in Montego Bay, much nicer.
4. Cozumel. Most know of this port, you can go it alone or try an RCI excursion. Either way you will enjoy it. If you do the dolphin tour, take a 5km cab ride down to Chankanaab and purchase the excursion yourself, much cheaper.
Overall we were very pleased, shows were great, lots of entertainment for the kids and we didn't suffer on deck 10 with noise. Service could have been better, much of the staff (bartenders specifically) were not friendly, I am not saying they were rude but they 'just' did their job, nothing more.
- Read more Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas Reviews
- Read Cruise Critic's Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas Review
250,000+ people have entered their email