Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review
2,389 Reviews

First time on Norwegian...had a great time

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by gardianof5

• Sail Date: Mar 2014
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

I usually cruise on Carnival but we decided to try Norwegian. There are pros and cons but I think overall I enjoyed Carnival the best.

Room: Very clean and comfortable beds

Staff: Very friendly and go out of their way to help you. Always a smiling face to help you.

Dining: Freestyle dining...liked and did not like. I enjoyed having our same waiter everyday on Carnival so I missed that. We went early to dinner in the Tsars most nights and for breakfast. The service was excellent and we did not have to wait in line. The food was average...limited menu. The Eggs Benedict was delicious.

The buffet was very crowded and seating outside was limited. I am not a big fan of buffets but we did try it once. You have to pay extra for all the specialty restaurants form $15 -$30 per person. Even pizza was an extra $5. Home service was free except for certain ports. (See the small print)

Fees: There were many hidden fees-food, activities, gym, spa. Beware!!

Alcohol: Very expensive!! The drink of the day was $7.25 plus gratuity and tax or a whopping $9!! You cannot bring any alcohol on board. Any alcohol that you buy in port must be checked in. I would suggest buying a bottle of wine or bucket of beer.

Entertainment: Excellent at night. Do not miss any of the shows. They are at 7:15 and 9:15. We always went to the 7:15 show and did not have any trouble finding a seat. After the show try a dance class. We went to the thriller and line dance class and had lots of fun.

Daily Activities: Boring and not much of a variety unless you love trivial and bingo.

On deck: Never had a problem finding a lounge chair. There is a deck on level 14 or 15 that gets you away from all the music if you want a quiet place to read a book while you lay in the sun. A Waiter services that deck also.

Ports: Loved everyone of them!!! (See reviews for each port)

One thing about Norwegian they were very organized and got you on and out in the ship very smoothly. The over all experience was good. I would take this cruise again just to go to the same ports!!!

gardianof5's Full Rating Summary

The cabin was very clean and comfortable. The beds were very comfortable. The cabin had 3 mirrors, vanity and stool, lights over the bed, refrigerator, hairdryer, TV and remote, 2 outlets in the room and 1 outlet in the bathroom,. hand soap in the bathroom, bath gel and shampoo in dispensers in the shower, hangers in the closet. The lighting was dim. Bring more hangers and conditioner. The refrigerator is stocked with drinks and snacks but you must pay for them if you eat them.

gardianof5