3. Norwegian Gem

We sailed from NY Manhattan on 2/26/2014 on a 9 day cruise to the Caribbean.

Cruise stops were very good - Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, St Marten, and Dominican Republic.

Lots to see and do.

Entertainment was very good to excellent. The 2 performers in the lounge area were really great.

However the crew and boat do need extensive work.

Our room had black mold behind the shower door that left a dank smell. After 2 days I was able to power wash the black mold away with the shower door closed, me inside and the shower hose on full. This is just a bad design. A cabin steward should not have to stand inside my shower to properly clean it!

Food service was OK but there were 2 really poor exceptions. We needed to eat within 40 minutes and told our waiter in the Magenta sit down dining room of our schedule. After more than 27 minutes late and no contact, he showed up with our meal stating the kitchen had run out of rice. When we asked him why he did not inform us, he said we had plenty of time left ( I do not consider 13 minutes sufficient time for a complete meal. ) To the credit of Miller, the Magenta manager, Mr. Miller did listen intently to me when I came back after the show. He asked to give the room another chance and we did 2 days later. Miller turned the service levels around for our remaining 2 meals in the Magenta. Why can't all the restaurant management act as professionally as Miller? Miller should be copied by all the staff. We do not expect perfection, but we do expect someone to adequately correct a mistake. Miller was excellent in how he handled a mistake.

Officers need training on how to be civil. One of the female officers came over to us as she was conducting a walk around tables in the Magenta Dining Room and asked us how we were enjoying ourselves. We told her that compared to our more that 10 previous cruises the magenta was not as good as what we expected. She told us we could not compare the GEM open seating with other cruise lines. Only after I mentioned that she could learn something if she was not so defensive (twice!) did she start to listen. Not well trained to get customer feedback.

Room steward was very good. The food chefs and servers in the buffet area were quite fine. The food was OK. There was always many choices available in the buffet meals; less so in the formal dining rooms. I noticed there was almost always Asian and far-Eastern selections available; and they were well prepared and tasted good.

NCL GEM Needs Work and Crew Training

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by roobrie

We sailed from NY Manhattan on 2/26/2014 on a 9 day cruise to the Caribbean.

Lots to see and do.

However the crew and boat do need extensive work.

roobrie’s Full Rating Summary

Cabin was OK, but had a black mold and a very musty odor in the bathroom (see above).
The terrace floor was badly stained.
The terrace glass below the railing was terribly dirty and I waited for it to be washed. This never happened even though I saw a washing apparatus go pat on the outside.

Room steward was excellent and quite friendly.

Norwegian Gem Deck Plans