3. Jewel of the Seas

This was our 4th cruise out of San Juan, 5th with RCL and 9th overall. Embarkation was a pleasure, we arrived at the Pan American pier at 11:45 and were on board and poolside by 12:10. Overall the ship was in great shape with one exception, it's time to upgrade the standard def TVs in the rooms and replace them with wall mounted HD TVs. It would be nice if RCL offered tempurpedic pillows, similar to the egg crate mattress covers. The breakfasts and dinners we had in the Tides dining room were varied and quite good. The service provided by Joel (waiter) and Lady (asst. waiter) was excellent. Windjammer had a good selection of food which was well prepared. I would suggest that during peak breakfast times they should have 2 "eggs to order stations" instead of the one.

The choice of ports was great; however, I wish RCL would allow for more time on the excursions. Most of the beach excursions were slated to last 4 hours which, after 10 minutes or so to load everyone on the vessel plus the time to drive out and return, is not really enough time to enjoy the sun and surf. At each port we opted to take grab a taxi and head out to the beaches on our own.

We caught 3 of the on board shows - The Platters, the magician (forget his name) and the comedian (again, forget his name) - all were well done. The ship's orchestra does a great job as backup for an act or when they were on their own and Dennis Charles did a great job as Cruise Director.

My pet peeve is the deck chair hogs. Deck space during the day at sea is at a premium and RCL should provide a crew whose sole job is to deal with the chair hogs who toss a towel on chairs at 7 and don't show up until 10 or 11. Use time stamped stickers on reserved chairs and if no one is using them after 30 minutes, remove they belongings and hold them at the towel stations. Again, this is my only real complaint but I'm sure it's a problem no matter which cruise line one chooses. Overall we love the Radiance class ships. RCL has a great crew who provide great service. We'll be back in February 2015.

Feb 2014 Southern Caribbean cruise

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by gfd_2

gfd_2’s Full Rating Summary

We love deck 9, two below the pool and 2 above the casino - nice and quiet.

Jewel of the Seas Deck Plans