3. Norwegian Breakaway
I spoke to the Access Coordinator before I booked this trip because I would be traveling with my husband who is in a wheelchair. I was given an handicap accessible room but wasn't asked any questions about what my husband's special needs might be. Before the trip, I called the Access Coordinator again to see what help I could get with getting on and off the ship. I was told that there were no porters so that only carry-on luggage could be brought, I said that we had carry-on luggage but I would need help because I would also be pushing a wheelchair. I was told to look for the Special Needs Assistant when I got to the terminal. I was directed to a blue sign that said Special Needs Passengers but there was no-one there. After waiting a while, I inquired and was told to go on ahead to check in - with no assistance! We then had to walk from Pier 90 to Pier 88 which I again had to do with no assistance. I did get some help from "Margaret" who said she was a VP at NCL. She pushed the chair up the steep ramp unto the ship for which I was very grateful but I was on my own after that. I asked for help when we got on the ship and finally had someone push the wheelchair for me. He told me that our room was not yet available but that we could go up to the 15th floor buffet to get some lunch. I asked where I could check my suitcase since I did not want to be dragging it around while we went upstairs to eat but the man just kept repeating that the buffet was upstairs, not seeming to understand what I was saying, even after I repeated myself many times. Fortunately, he was told that the room was available a few moments later so I wasn't stuck having to drag a suitcase with one hand while pushing the wheelchair with the other. The buffet was a madhouse. It was hard to find a table, there were long lines for food and the food was poor. Getting around the buffet with a wheelchair was particularly difficulty because it was so crowded. Our room was nice but had mechanical problems. The toilet only flushed about 2 out of 3 times which I was told was due to the fact that so many other people were flushing their toilets at the same time. This happened throughout the weekend. It was cold in the room but it took a long time for someone to come up to the room and he never really did anything. I then asked for a blanket because my husband, who has a neurological condition, was cold. The blanket was never sent but I was finally able to get one from our cabin steward, Sheila. Sheila was one of the few people on board who was helpful. The lights over the desk stopped working the second night and the shade for the window broke our second night as well. The corridors leading to the cabins were very narrow and were often impassable with the wheelchair because of the housekeeping carts with towels. I called out to a staff person for help when we were unable to get past a housekeeping cart but he looked right at me before turning on his heel and disappearing. I had to move those carts out of the way myself, something that I had to do frequently throughout the weekend. The information that you have online about the 2 day cruise on the Breakaway says that there is "complimentary room service". The Freestyle Daily that was given out both days we were there also stated that room service was available. However, when I called for room service, I was told that it wasn't offered on the 2 day cruises. My husband was feeling very tired and I had hoped that we wouldn't have to leave the cabin to do battle with the wheelchair in order to get something to eat on Friday night. Since it is not safe for me to leave my husband alone, I had to get him dressed again and take him out in the wheelchair to get something to eat which was very inconvenient. If I had known that there would not be any room service for this weekend, I probably would not have booked the cruise. I had to go to Guest Services when I had a problem booking a show on one of the large touch screens on the 7th floor. The person at Guest Services was actually pleasant, something I had not come to expect from the staff by that time. I told him about the things that I was not happy about and later found that he had sent a complimentary fruit bowl to our room. That was nice of him but I needed assistance a lot more than I needed free food. The Cirque Jungle Dream and Dinner in the tent was the one bright spot in the cruise, It was a beautiful show that was very professionally presented. Overall, my impression was that there weren't enough staff members on board to take care of the large numbers of passengers who were on the ship. There also wasn't enough physical space to accommodate the numbers of passengers on the ship. There were long waits for elevators and long lines to get into the complimentary restaurants. I also heard people complaining that they had been closed out of all of the shows. I have been on a number of other cruise lines but have never encountered such poor customer service before. I can truly say that this was the worst cruise I have ever been on.

The Worst Cruise Ever

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by balexander9

• Sail Date: January 2014
  • Destination: Nowhere
balexander9’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Cabin 9-700
The cabin was nice but a number of things in the room weren't operating as they should have been. Customer service was so poor that it wasn't possible to get people to fix these problems. My comments about the cabin are included in my review of the cruise as a whole.
  Norwegian Breakaway Deck Plans