3. Splendour of the Seas
I'll start by saying that we had a fine time on Splendor...embarkation was extremely easy, and disembarkation was smooth and quick. Service staff was very gracious and eager to please. I would definitely take this ship again, and I'm strongly considering taking it to Brazil when it starts that route later this year. Special Note: Reynaldo at the poolside bar, and, Daniel, who seemed to be everywhere, make the strongest drinks. My group of approx. 12 folks was made up of several single African-American women, aged 33-62, one married couple in their 50's, a grandpa, and a 21 year old, and there was something for all of us. Most of us were repeat cruisers, but even the first-time cruiser did just fine. We spent most of our time poolside, either playing games, listening to the band, or simply relaxing. Because of the ship's size, we never had problems finding one another, yet we also never felt suffocated. Food: The food was surprisingly good in the Windjammer Cafe. We never expect buffet style to be fresh or tasty, but the Windjammer served up both. In fact, a couple of us skipped the always lukewarm dining room food one night to find hot, delicious dining room menu items right in Windjammer. Very good grub, and we didn't have to change clothes. Stay away from the room service chicken wings! Entertainment: While we thoroughly enjoyed the band's company, as it was comprised of a few nice-looking Jamaicans, we quickly grew tired of hearing every single song sung to a reggae beat. They were fun, but their repertoire could stand to expand beyond every reggae song ever written and a couple of Lionel Richie songs in between. The Viking Crown Lounge (disco) was very nice and comfortable, but the DJ is limited. A couple of nights of Ghostbusters and Sweet Home Alabama nearly took us out. Word to the wise: load the DJ up with requests if you want to hear music worth dancing to. I only attended one show in the theater and slept through most of it. Not very entertaining at all. Cabin: Three of us stayed in a junior suite and I think I'm spoiled now. It was about the size of a small hotel room, with lots of storage space, and great attention from housekeeping. I think only the suites are on deck 8, so any time we mentioned our cabin number or deck, we noticed a little special treatment. Cleanliness: It was amazing to all of us how often and just what did get cleaned every day. The day we saw someone on our balcony washing it down was so reassuring and yet a little scary at the same time. In the end, we really appreciated the care that went into ensuring all areas of the ship were spotless. Ports: If you're into beauty, get up early and spend all day on and around the beaches of Costa Maya. It's gorgeous. If you're into overpriced goods sold by desperate locals, spend your time in the marketplace on Cozumel. Summary: This was a great trip for the price, particularly for anyone in the Houston area. Having cruised on Celebrity and Carnival, I can say that Royal Caribbean Splendour gives nice combination of great service with a little "cornyness".

Splendour of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by mrvlv

Stay away from the room service chicken wings!
mrvlv’s Full Rating Summary