3. Norwegian Breakaway
My husband and I have been on 11 cruises on various cruise lines. This was our 2nd Norwegian and it will be our last. It all started when they said children cruise free, however when you booked the cruise they raised the price for the first and second guest. When I put in the search for 4 people I got the same price as the kids going for free. What a scam! I do have to say the food was very good on the ship. However, service was not so good. You had to wait a long time for a server, and several times brought us the wrong meal. This happened every night we ate there. The wait to get into the restaurants is ridiculous! They also shut down the buffet at a certain time during dinner so if you wanted that as an option you are out of luck. When we went to the restaurant one night the hostess gave us a pager and told us when our table is ready it will light up. After 45 minutes the pager still did not light up so we headed back to the restaurant to see what was going on. When I spoke to the hostess about our wait, she casually said to us "Oh I never turned it on!" then quickly brought us to a table. I find this totally unacceptable. If you like to pay extra for specialty restaurants that's a nice treat. We really enjoyed our meals there. Also, if you like potpies, O'Sheehan's has a great one. The shows were good, if you get to see them! They don't tell you that you have to reserve your seat ahead of time. So make sure if you book on the Breakaway you book your shows at the same time. Otherwise you will be disappointed. They do have shows you can see that you can pay extra for, but my theory is I am paying enough for the cruise why should I pay extra for a show. If you have cruised with NCL before they tell you that they give you 1/2 hour free internet. That is also a scam. If you purchase a package with minutes then they will give you the free 1/2 hour. The person that was working the internet area was rude. I needed to print out our excursion confirmation and was willing to pay for the pages. I told him I only needed the internet for 5 minutes to access my email and print the confirmation, could I just pay for that? He said "no" you need to buy a package. Then he goes on to say to me "Listen, I could pull up my account, you can open your email and print your confirmation and just pay for the pages." I said "That sounds great, I appreciate that" then he proceeds to say "I could do that for you, but I won't!" I said to him, "what?" then he repeats it to me again. I stood there in shock for a moment, couldn't believe he just said that to me, so rudely. I just looked at him and turned and walked away. Getting off the ship at the ports was hectic, this ship has so many passengers on it that they need to get a better system with getting everyone off the ship. Getting off in NYC was mayhem. After you go through customs, you walk through a tunnel like hallway out into the street of New York. If you have someone picking you up at the port, tell them to wait on a side street, much easier when you get out to the street then dealing with the craziness of the port traffic. The only downside is you have to drag your luggage, but it is so much easier because you get right out of there. The private island was nice. However, if you don't get off the ship early to head to the beach, good luck finding a lounge chair. You have to walk almost to the end of the island because they don't have enough chairs for the number of people on the ship, in addition, if you want a shade chair, plan on paying an extra fee for that. Bahamas was nice. What we did was book a day at the Hilton Hotel which is in walking distance to the ship. We had an awesome time there and employees were very nice. They give you towels, have kayaks and other water activities. You can swim in the hotel pool and they have lounge chairs on the beach with or without shade. This day trip gave you a voucher for food and drinks so it was very affordable. We booked this on our own, not through the ship. It was definitely worth the money. Then on the way back to the ship you could shop in the stores and straw market. Orlando was also fun. We rented a car for the day which was very inexpensive. We then drove ourselves to the parks in Orlando. This was well worth the money too. You have the freedom to do what you want. You can get the rental car right outside the ship. We also booked this on our own-in advance. If you book your car in advance you can get a better price. In addition you will save money because the cruise line overcharges for trips to the theme parks. The pool was very small, but our boys had a great time on the water slides. If you like going to the spa, the stone massage is great! Towards the end of the cruise they give you a discount on spa treatments so it's worth the money if you wait. I hope my review helped you. I am not a picky person nor am I demanding, but when you go on vacation you expect a certain level of treatment and respect. You will not get that on the Breakaway. Looking forward to my next cruise but not with Norwegian!

Don't waste your good money on the Breakaway!

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by barbieDamian

• Sail Date: November 2013
  • Destination: Bahamas
The pool was very small, but our boys had a great time on the water slides.
barbieDamian’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

The balcony cabin was very small. Although the bathroom was a good size, it didn't make up for the very small balcony. It was so narrow that when you sit on the chair your knees hit the balcony glass. The room steward was o.k. but we had to constantly ask for towels. Room was not that clean when we first boarded. Found hair in the bathroom and crumbs under the bed. The shower door had a chip in it that had a piece of tape cover the sharp edge, however my husband still cut himself on this and we had to be careful every time we took a shower. The second night we were on the ship we didn't realize till the morning that our door was broken and did not lock. So we slept in our cabin unaware of our door not locking. When I realize this in the morning I went down to customer relations to make them aware of this. I waited over 3 hours and still maintenance did not come up to fix it. I had to go back down to customer relations and tell them again. Maintenance finally came up to our cabin and fixed the door. It took him about 2 hours to fix it and we had to get new key cards because he had to change the lock.
  Norwegian Breakaway Deck Plans