3. Norwegian Epic
This was our first transatlantic and we wondered how we would cope with the long sea days. Our verdict was "absolutely wonderful!" The long lazy lie-ins were perfect for us, as usually we are up so early on a port day to make the most of the city. It felt like a real holiday not having to wake up to an alarm. The Epic was also the largest ship we had sailed on, so again we were a bit unsure of whether the ship would feel too crowded. But we needn't have worried, we always found a sunbed on the deck above the adults only pool at the back, next to the basketball courts. We always found a table at breakfast and lunchtimes in the buffet. I have read reviews about people waiting for a table in the main dining rooms after the shows, and yes, we did wait but never longer than 10 minutes, which I find remarkable considering the staff had to seat so many people. On the nights that we shared with others, we were seated immediately. It also amazes me how people have said that there was no variety on the menu, sure there were everyday staples but the menu changed every night. All the staff were hard working and polite. The little things that niggled, but didn't ruin our holiday were the following: The entertainment was the worst I have ever seen on any ship. I was surprised that we were charged for the circus show, and yet on the Spirit a similar show was shown in the main theatre for free. I'm not saying it wasn't enjoyable but I wouldn't go again. The comedy magician was neither a comedian nor a magician and I'm not sure how he passed his audition! Both the Legends shows were so-so, I think the karaoke singers were better though. Adele was the best of the bunch, but if Katy Perry ever saw that show I'm sure she would be like "do I really sound that awful?" I loved Duelling Pianos and Graffiti Classics, who we had seen before - but they were much better suited to the big theatre as the Fat Cats venue wasn't so great for viewing. The improv group were good too. I didn't like the fact that there were so many fee-charging restaurants which meant that there were no rooms in which to sit and read or play cards. Having said that we were lucky with the weather so we were outside everyday. But if the weather hadn't been so good then I think I would have become grumpy! Also the casino is plonked right in the middle of the ship so you have to walk through the smoke. There were air purifiers however, you still noticed it and it clung to your hair and clothes. I felt sorry for the poor croupiers who had to sit in that. Hopefully Norwegian has improved that on their newer ships. I also missed a promenade deck to walk around and the grandeur of an atrium. As I said, nothing to ruin our holiday, I guess my expectations were high prior to boarding, I really was expecting everything to be Epic. I think I'm the only one here, but I really really loved the cabin layout with the separate shower pods and toilet cubicle. I think it opens up the cabin and gives you extra space. I can understand the need for privacy though if you're not a married couple! Our cabin was spacious with lots of storage. However we could hear the bass and drums from the theatre. The one thing that really irked me though was disembarking. I totally realise that there are over 4000 passengers trying to get off all at once, but we were all given different time slots to disembark at St Thomas and I really think that Norwegian could do a better job of enforcing this. We were given a 9am time slot as we had a Norwegian excursion booked for 10am, however Norwegian staff were letting people with a later time slot than us to jump the queue which meant we were late for our excursion. Also, I couldn't understand how come people in wheelchairs were given priority boarding and disembarking when there were older, more frail people in the queue who had to stand whilst giving priority people who were younger than them, but just overweight. I think that needs to be looked at. All in all, we had the best cruise we've ever had and this is because of the lazy sea days and wonderful weather. We would definitely do the transatlantic option again and NCL is still our cruise line of choice. After all, your holiday is what you make of it.

More ups than downs

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by SurreyFroggie

• Sail Date: October 2013
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Inside
The little things that niggled, but didn't ruin our holiday were the following:
SurreyFroggie’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Inside
Cabin IF 9030
I absolutely loved the bathroom layout with its separate shower pod and toilet cubicle. However if you are sharing with someone other than your spouse I can see that privacy would become an issue. Plenty of storage space and comfy beds. The only negative is that you can hear the drums and bass from the theatre, so you can't go to sleep until the second show is over.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins