3. Norwegian Jewel
This was our first cruise with Norwegian, and it is certain to be our last. One of the main reasons we selected this particular ship and itinerary was because of the Nickolodeon tie-in for the kids. While our seven year old enjoyed the kids club, the actual Nickolodeon activities were few and far between, as well as very brief when they did take place. The crew and cast members were great fun, and the kid's club staff were great, just a big let down as far as the Nick stuff. The crew was super nice, always smiling and greeting everyone like an old friend. However, some of the bar staff were lacking in proper bar tending skills, making it a crap shoot when ordering drinks ( if you didn't already know the bar tender). We were not affected too much by this since we had purchased the Ultimate Beverage package, but if you were paying for each drink, I would have been very upset several timesaver the week. Along the same lines several of the waiters were, to put it politely, slow. Inattentive is probably more correct, but I was trying to be nice. These waiters were the exception and not the rule. Perhaps my largest complaint was with the food. When looking for the right words to describe it, my wife made the comparison to airplane food. This is the best description that either of us has come up with that can be used in public forums. The "steaks" were thin and full of gristle, the vegetables were tasteless, unseasoned, and often served cold, and the menu was the same every night. In their defense, the buffet occasionally had some good bits, but again it was far and few between and eating the buffet every night sort ruins the entire ambience that we were looking forward to. In comparison to other cruise lines I have traveled with, NCL seemed to have fewer activities, or at least did not publicize them as well and it also felt as if every other activity had a fee associated with it. We made several comments in regard to the food quality, our candid comments were rewarded with a plate of four chocolate covered strawberries, but unfortunately no improvement in the food which would have been far better. One last complaint would be with the on board entertainment....quite frankly I've seen better choreography and execution at dance class recitals. It was very, very poor quality. The comedian and magician were both entertaining and the crew/passenger driven activities were fun as well, but the "extravagant" productions were very nearly laughable.

Never again with NCL

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Unit12medic

This was our first cruise with Norwegian, and it is certain to be our last.
Unit12medic’s Full Rating Summary