Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review

A very British affair

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by cobra1243

• Sail Date: Nov 2013
  • Destination: Canary Islands

Having just returned to Blighty from another lovely cruise I thought I would write and put forward our experience.

This is the second time with Cunard the first on the Victoria which was a very enjoyable experience.

At 150,000 tons this large Liner is obviously very stable and although we did not incur any rough weather the bay of Biscay was always there as a threat on the way back.This was managed with sophisticated ease

a good point to think about if you are thinking of taking any dubious friends or relatives away from our British shores this ship is a good bet.The breakfast at Kings Court was an easy affair compared to many ships we have been on there was never a time we had to share a table or fight for food as on some Italian ships we have incurred in the past.Even the P&O Azura we found to be very full at meal times and sea days rather over subscribed sometimes but not on this ship.I think you have to like dressing up though,for this ship to be a pleasure, as the informal evenings are still jacket and smart dress and that just leaves the Formal nights of Bow tie etc.so hardly a relaxed affair when it comes to choice.The presentations or talks given by the experts were very entertaining and although my wife thought them a tad bias to wards males i could only see this as a bonus.The Planetarium was a bonus and quite enlightening ,the cinema almost full size bringing the latest trash from America e.g World War Z - Man of Steel etc.but if you are bored it has some qualities the shows were good and varied so some good points re entertaining and of course the various bands around the ship cater for most tastes.

Down side = ridiculously priced wines are a joke and the lack of bottles or full wine glasses on tables showed that, very few people deciding to get ripped of - I was paying from $9 for a small to $16 for a larger glass

a bottle will set you back around $40 - the wine package 6 bottles of Red for about $240 upwards.

Beers - they ran out of Speckled Hen on the second day and by the end in the ball room I asked for a Bodingtons he returned sorry ran out then a London pride? came back "run out" landed up with a larger.

P&O are the best I have found for drinks at reasonable prices.

Service good as you would expect so to finish - --

this was our 16th cruise we have been on 9 different cruise lines and sailed a fair amount of places around the world so not that experienced but enough to get an idea of what to expect and what not.

Would I travel on this ship again ?

Given the itinerary = I would be delighted -- it is a lovely British experience.

cobra1243's Full Rating Summary