3. Norwegian Jewel
I am very new to cruising..the last time I was on a cruise was about 20 years ago and it was a Royal Caribbean ship and it was a 3 night cruise. This past week we sailed on the Jewel and I would like to tell you about our experience. Boarding was very easy and our room was ready when we arrived. The only problem (and I found this out on our last night) was that we were supposed to have towel animals on our bed each night. We did not have these on any of our nights onboard. Our room was also not very clean and I had to ask each day for 1 extra towel and on a few days I had to ask for the bathmat. The bathroom floor was unclean and so I cleaned it each day and the glass shelves were very dusty. I had no idea that tips were automatically deducted each night at $12 per person. To us, this seemed like a lot for the poor service we had in the housekeeping area. Last time I cruised I remember we put tips in envelopes for each person. This seems better to me since tips are for service. If you are guaranteed a tip, then maybe you won't try as much to please the consumer. Room service was brought to our room twice for breakfast. The first time everything was good. The second time we got old fruit so we opted to eat breakfast at the buffet on a few days and at the great outdoors which is behind the buffet and faces the back of the ship. Great views in this area. Anyway, other than our housekeeping issue the staff onboard was very very friendly and helpful. The food onboard was pretty good, we ate one night at Tzars and the rest of the nights at Azura's and two nights at buffet. All the workers in the restaurants were awesome...we couldn't have asked for better service. We only did 1 specialty restaurant and that was the Bistro for the Jazz brunch and we did enjoy ourselves. On one night they had a chocolate extravaganza. There were plenty of delicious desserts and there were plenty of children onboard, due to the Thanksgiving holiday. It was rather upsetting to see children walking with huge plates of desserts and then leaving most of them on the table uneaten. Especially with so many workers from the Phillipines who have families that are at home suffering..to see such a waste was awful. I was a bit disappointed in the pool area. I went down to enjoy the hot tub on our first full day at sea and I was not able to get in any of them. It was a chilly day and there were children in all of them even though some said adults only. I was able to use when we were in Costa Maya as we had no onshore activites other than taking a stroll through the shops. I did enjoy them once I was able to use them. The entertainment was good. We made a few of the shows and all of the ones we saw were great. We especially like the magician/comedian...he was hilarious! I am sorry I do not remember his name. We also saw Jeri Sager who was also very entertaining. I have been spending my time in all exclusive resorts in Punta Cana, Mexico, Jamaica for the past 20 years and having to pay for so many items was very new to me. I wanted a slice of coffee cake at the java cafe and was told it is only complimentary if I pay for coffee. I do not drink coffee so I was unable to try a complimentary slice. I was also surprised at the price of bingo. We went down to play on the last evening and the price was $49 for 3 games. The frustrating part that right before the game that paid the most, they sold cards for $10. On the all exclusive trips we have been on, bingo is free and so are many other games. They give out prizes like bottles of rum, tshirts etc...for free. This really was so different and something I was not used to and actually did not like paying extra for the games. We had a balcony stateroom midship, deck 9. It was a nice room...we had a place for everything. The view of the sea from the ship was wonderful and the rocking of the ship so soothing. My husband and I both slept fantastic. It was also easy getting around the ship and elevators were close to everything. A little bit of walking and going up and down steps but we did not mind at all since it helped us burn some of the calories from all the food. Oh and the pizza was very good...just not sure why we had to pay a room service charge of $5.00 to order a pizza when it is free on the buffet and you could just bring it to your room. We did two excursions, in Belize we went to Altun Ha and it was great. We learned a lot from our tour guides who were very passionate about the Mayan Culture. The other excursion was in Roatan and I am still frustrated that they did not cancel our trip or refund most of our money. In the morning we went to the stardust theater to meet up for our trip. Many trips that day were cancelled due to the weather which was windy and rainy. Our excursion was a tour of the Roatan and a boat ride on Dixon cove. I booked this trip solely for this boatride. We could hardly take any good pictures because when we got to our stops it was so rainy you could barely see let alone take pictures. Then we were taken to the boat but it was pouring rain, the boat had 2inches of water in it and the seats were soaked. Of course no one took the ride since it was to dangerous. The tour guide came to all of us and had us write our cabin numbers down and the reason we did not take the boat ride. I waited two days to see if we would be refunded and did not hear anything so I went to the excursion desk. I was told that they had no idea we did not take the boat ride and they would call me to tell me their decision on a reimbursement. We were only given a 25% reimbursement. I thought we should get all our money back as they should not have sent us in this type weather, especially with cancelling so many of the other excursions that day. All in all the trip was nice..even with some issues. We will be taking another cruise in January aboard the Royal Princess. We booked this one last year with some friends. It is a newer ship and we were upgraded to a suite so we are looking forward to the larger room and to again be on the sea. Maybe we will have a bit better experience on this ship. I will let you know.

Norwegian Jewel November 2013

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by CUontheC

CUontheC’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Our room was nice and in a good area. There was a place for all of our belongings. Being new to cruising we had no idea that we should have had towel animals in our room on a daily basis. We found this out on Friday night when talking with a couple we met. They were talking about the towel monkey they had hanging in their room and the other animals they had like an elephant. They said we should have also had them...we did not...not even on the first day. We would have said something about this but we did not know this was part of the cruise experience. Our room was also not cleaned very well. The bathroom floor was not washed so I cleaned it myself each day wiping it down. We also had to ask for one extra towel each day and also for a bath mat on two of the days. The bed was nice and comfortable as were the pillows. We did get a great nights sleep each night. And we did enjoy the view from the balcony.
  Norwegian Jewel Deck Plans