• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Crystal Symphony Review

Editor Rating
50 Awards

Ship vs itinerary:A bit of a mismatch

Review for Crystal Symphony to the Western Caribbean
rafinmd
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Nov 2013
Cabin:

Background:Crystal is absolutely my favorite cruise line but I booked this cruise with some doubts. I had a lingering suspicion that using Crystal for what is essentially a routine Caribbean cruise is a bit like using a Ferrari to drive to the corner drug store. I booked the cruise only for a unique circumstance. I had 2 bucket list cruises, New York to Miami on the Symphony and the Prinsendam to the Amazon 10 days later from Ft. Lauderdale. I wanted to do something in those 10 days I wouldn't do normally, and my initial reaction was Epic, Allure, or Oasis. I eventually decided that while I wouldn't normally book those I was free to do so anytime and a convenient (for me) Crystal Caribbean cruise was a very rare event.

Ship info: The Crystal Symphony was built in 1995, and has been updated regularly since then, most recently in 2012. It is moderately large, and extremely spacious for the passenger capacity. My voyage was completely sold out, but never crowded. The open decks are especially spacious, and there is a wide, wrap-around Promenade Deck.

Staterooms: With the exception of the penthouses on deck 10, the rooms are essentially the same. There are only 8 categories, 3 for penthouse, regular and deluxe verandas, depending on the deck, and 3 categories of penthouse cabins. The rooms are well equipped, especially the baths, with a full tub in even the lowest category rooms. There is ample storage space.

Other than the penthouses, most of Crystal's cabins are pretty well standardized. My E cabin was very obstructed with a lifeboat blocking the full width of my window.I could see over the top but not a great deal. It was just steps to the stairs to the promenade deck.

1 Helpful Vote