3. Celebrity Summit
This particular cruise was sailing from San Juan, PR on November 25, 2006. Family of 5, DH (30 yrs), DD (3 yrs), DM (61 yrs), DM in law (56 yrs) and me (29 yrs). Being from PR, there was no need to arrange pre cruise anything, so I'll proceed directly to embarkation. We arrived at 4 pm to the port and were left at entrance by sister in law. No lines, no rush, very easy. Once registered and given our sailing passes (which we opened with our credit cards) we proceed to enter the ship. Picture taken. Were received with champagne or mimosas (however nothing for the kid, who as you may know, wanted something for her, point down). We proceed to the buffet and then to see the entire ship. Not impressed about the looks of the ship, not fancy or glamorous, just modern, but IMO, very well laid. Before dinner, which was second seating (we prefer it), went to see assistant maitre'd (Yussef, from Turkey) to arrange all of us be seated in the same table (bookings were made through different travel agents). No problem at all. Went to dinner, meet our waiter (Sylvanus, from St. Vincent) and assistant waiter (Agus, from Indonesia), both very friendly and gave us outstanding service during our two weeks cruise. Food overall was just OK, however desserts were excellent!!! Night entertainment was sometimes better than others, but overall: entertaining. The Cirque du Soleil left us hunger for more as it lasted only half an hour. We booked two cabins, one balcony (8144) for DH, DD and me, and one interior (8174) for moms. Room was small and balcony was standard, bathroom was very comfortable. Overall room was just enough for what we needed. Interior room was surprisingly comfortable and spacious (for an interior - there is no way I'll change my balcony). Our cabin steward (Teodosio) was very helpful, although we hardly spoke more than a hello; which is ok for me. Ports of Call: Curacao: being there before. We arranged private taxi island tour for $15 e/o. Shopping has turned more expensive, though; and the Island seems to be in reconstruction or something. Like it more the first time (5 yrs ago). Aruba: being there before also. arranged private taxi island tour for $20 e/o. Beautiful beaches, beautiful island. Tour left us at one beach (we requested it) and we took a bus to return to the pier ($1.25 e/o). Very easy to get back and permitted us to see the island from another point of view. Panama Canal: extraordinary!!! Sailing through the Panama Canal was announced to begin early in the morning - 6 am (at least for me), so I slept a little longer and woke up at 8 am just to see our ship entering to the locks. A cargo ship (China Shipping) entered to the Canal at the same time, so I was able to see the functioning of the locks perfectly from my balcony. The experience was very impressive, and it is more when you know how it was built. Cruise TV (and also at the Cinema) continuously showed a documentary of the plan, construction and functioning of the Canal. It is very important to know how it was made to really appreciate what your are seeing. We were not able to get off the ship until we got to Puerto Amador in the Pacific Ocean. Puerto Amador - Panama: Tender begun at 6 pm and last tender will left the pier at 10:45 pm. Not a lot of time to see much, specially at night. However, we arranged a taxi city tour ($25 e/o), and enjoy it a lot. Want to go back, as soon as we have travel the rest of the world - I guess. Punta Arenas - Costa Rica: being in San Jose before. We did not care about this particular port as it have nothing interesting to see. However, clothes are inexpensive and of good quality. They were on elections, so no alcohol was sold. Coffee was very delicious (moms got some bags of coffee from a local supermarket that our driver got us to). We went to see crocodiles and local artisans. Private tour for $25 e/o. Huatulco - Mexico: cute!!! Nice beaches, nice people, nice place. We booked an excursion with the ship. Nothing extraordinary, just something to get to know the place. It was ok, but prefer to go on our on. Very inexpensive, also; we went to an Internet Cafe an they gave us 1 hour for $1 (at the ship 1 minute is $0.75, WAO!) Acapulco - Mexico: spectacular!!! Simply beautiful. We arranged a private tour $25 e/o) they took us to old and new Acapulco, and get us to divers - Amazing! Very well worth. Loved this place (beware that all food tastes hot - even Doritos!!!). Los Cabos, San Lucas - Mexico: Ok. Took a bicitaxi (very funny) and do shopping, tried to eat burritos and tacos, but did not like taste. Even pop corn was hot and spicy. Los Angeles - California: WOW! We rented a minivan with a navigation system, very well worth the $9.95 extra that we paid, a must. We went to the Hollywood sign, various studios, and walk of fame. We liked this place a lot, maybe because we felt right at home again. Disembarkation was very smooth also. We placed our luggage before 12 midnight outside our room the night before. The day we arrived to port, got off bed at 7 am, took a shower, went up to breakfast, which was available till 9:30 am. When they call our group, we went to the theater, where we wait until called. Once called just got our way to the exit. Luggage was easily found and carried out by a porter. Taxis were a long wait, so we took a shuttle to the airport in order to register our luggage. Our flight back to PR was not until 9:30 pm, so we did not wished to carry them with us. After registering, we got outside the airport, took any bus shuttle to the first rental that appeared (which was Dollar) and rented a car. No problems at all. Our kid attended sometimes to the Fun Factory. She does not speaks english, even though the language barrier Olga, from Estonia (who does not speak spanish) get along very well with her. Overall the Fun Factory was ok; however, inside and outside playgrounds, as well as kids pool, remained closed almost the entire cruise, because of sanitary reasons. The Casino was very nice, as well as the pools and the gym. I used the beauty salon and was very pleased. The bars were nice, although everybody disappeared at 12:30 am. The disco was a fiasco, not to mention the latin night. The karaoke nights were so or so, considering travelers of this ship are well passed the 50 yrs old. However, they should consider adding other language selections (even latin songs were in english). The Cinema was ok, although they might consider adding closed caption to movies. Spa was inviting, although I wanted, did not found time to go. The stores were just ok. The computer center is very handy and the personnel very helpful (you may download your pictures to an account that they will give you and at the end of the cruise they'll give you a CD with all your pictures for $15) I was very pleased with the service received at the Cosmopolitan. Our Asst. Waiter, Waiter and Ass. Maitre'D were awesome. One night my daughter told Yussef that he did not sang Happy Birthday to her, I told him that her birthday was on July, but that she sees him singing Happy BDay, Happy HMoon or Happy anniversary to other people, but not to her. He told us, ok, then tomorrow is her birthday. The following night he bring her a chocolate cake and they sang Happy BDay in both english and spanish. She is 3 yrs old, that just made for the entire cruise to us. Thank you Yussef, Sylvanus and Agus for that special moment. The cruise was constantly sanitized, extremely sanitized; however, that did not bother us. I think we just get along with what was happening. A special comment to let you know that Happy Happy was there and even Santa Claus made an appearance. Our daughter enjoy his visit as well as all the living toys that were with him. I know there is people that found the cruise outrageous, but we loved it as it was our vacation and nothing was going to spoil it. We were so much pampered that miss every second onboard the Summit. That said, the ship does not look as good as those of other lines, and needs painting for the exterior rusted areas. Balconies needs improvement, particularly to rugs and furniture.

Summit - Central America/Panama Canal

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by lorenna

Food overall was just OK, however desserts were excellent!!!
Ports of Call: