3. Island Princess
HAWAII..What a fantasy for those folks , myself included , sitting day in and day out dreaming of crystal clear waters and warm tropical trade winds while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. How could my wife (Dianne) and I(FOGGY DAZE) achieve this elusive faraway vision of paradise. Easy , pick up the phone and call PRINCESS . The staff at the PRINCESS booking desk do an excellent job and rarely get any recognition for being the start of your dream come true . SUNDAY..NOVEMBER 19th...What a great start , three off ramps from home , I was informed that possibly, we had left the camera behind..oh well , we are on vacation , so what. Now and hour out of San Francisco , I tell Dianne that I was starting to get a headache . She reaches in her purse , no problem..she hands me 4 tablets and a bottle of water to wash them down. Now bout a half hour farther down the road , my eyes are getting very, very , very ,heavy . But hey, the head aches gone , hummm...Honey..are you certain those were motrin , I'm sure getting tired . I see her open her purse and detect a slight whisper "oh no". "Sorry , I gave you my muscle relaxers..I'll drive". We pull into the BEST WESTERN on Harbor Blvd. , just down the block from the San Pedro Cruise Center . The hotel will shuttle you to and from the Ship as well as store your vehicle at a very reasonable rate. MONDAY NOV. 20TH , 5:45 a.m. ...sipping our coffee , we watch the ISLAND PRINCESS quietly pass in front of the hotel toward her berth. We board our hotel shuttle at 11:30 a.m. and check in at the PRINCESS embarkation area.  We are in our cabin within minutes .Hey , lets do lunch. Safety drill , very organized and detailed in their instruction. Now up to the sailaway party as the sun sets .And the band plays on. TUE. NOV. 21St. First meeting of cruise critic group 11:00 A.M. at the explorers lounge....oppps!!...lounge was not open until 12:00p.m. Had a turn out of about 20 to 30 folks...nice to meet ya'll..sorry bout no bar service..my fault. And I was going to even pick up the bar tab for the group...oh well its .. VACATION. The cabin A 215 was very nice..however , our bed configuration was not as requested . We called the cabin Steward ..it was some time before that task was taken care of. I have a habit of giving the cabin the "WHITE GLOVE" .It did not pass . Still yukky stuff in the drawers , least it wasn't moving. Dirt in all the higher ledges , mirror top , door top and other places . hummm , oh MR. STEWARD We called him 8 times over the 15 days on board..and not once did we ever get a reply . Room service was awesome , limited menu , but was always correct and served within about 20 minutes of your call.EXCELLENT ! Food was always fresh and hot . At sea days had an activity for every interest .The PRINCESS PATTER was very informative . We went to several lectures, a wine tasting , trivia games , shuffle board library , casino . We always had a great time . Our dining choice was first seating . We had first rate servers who seemed to go out of their way to make our experience a great one. We often took their advice in what was good and never had a complaint. Water glass was always full..and I drink alot of water...food was served hot, with great appeal to your visual sense's. If for any reason you were unhappy with anything, it would be taken care of in a timely manor to your satisfaction. Dianne and I tried the "BAYOU CAFE" . I had the PORTERHOUSE steak..tender , juicy . Excellent . Dianne on the other hand had the lobster . She had me taste it and it was so salty..wow...not good . The cafe took care of the $$ as well as offered to make it right next time in. We never ended up going back... We had better service in the Main dinning room than in the "BAYOU CAFE",but keep in mind , restaurants also have bad nights too. We would try it again. Cabin problems again...some days we would leave the cabin at 9:00a.m with the "PLEASE SERVICE " sign out , only to return at 2p.m. or 3p.m. and nothing had been touched. The last time we were on the PRINCESS DAWN..seemed like we would walk out , turn around and go back and the cabin was cleaned...no long, long wait. Shore excursions...on the scale of 1 to 10...KONA , submarine a "10" though a bit pricey... Kauia...4x4 back road..."2" . very disappointing..oh well..we are on vacation.. On the other islands we rented a vehicle an did what we wanted to do..good value if you shop the market . Entertainment..well TOTO , it wasn't KANSAS..'RHAPSODY'...I have put several concerts together..so have a good eye/ear for talent..lead singer good, drummer good , bass..better than average..organ..needs to play in another band perhaps the Caribbean ..thought he was tone deaf and often over powered even the lead singer..THERE IS NO REGGAE IN "THE FOUR TOPS" songs... 1 to 10...4 1/2 Now, the banjo playing MICHAEL..really bad...I saw a guy that played at the 'U S Festival' that could play the Banjo, Mouth Organ and the drum at the same time and was better than that..all we needed was an organ grinder and a monkey..that would have made the night.. The comic Kevin Hughes...HE WAS A "10" Would we do it again..in a heartbeat..great value...those 8 days at sea to just relax...the charm of the overall staff of Princess . The food . I will be sitting in traffic tomorrow counting down the days until the next cruise with PRINCESS...FOGGY DAZE

Island Princess - Hawaii