3. Splendour of the Seas
We used EZCruise Parking. #1 lot was filled so we were escorted to lot# 2 by a shuttle bus. Parked and the shuttle took us to the port. Check in was a breeze. We walked right through in a matter of minutes. SHIP: Appeared clean and laid out similarly to the Rhapsody and we felt right at home. STATEROOM: Well laid out. Lots of storage. New bedding is very nice. The carpet was iffy. We didn't have loungers on the balcony however our stateroom attendant, Jesus, brought them the next day. Jesus was extremely efficient, called us by our name and anytime he saw us coming he hurried to open the door for us. He made wonderful little towel animals. We didn't have to ask him for a thing after the loungers. As it was COLD he was able to bring us robes which we greatly appreciated.( no robes in the D1 stateroom). No amenities in the bathroom other than soap and something in a dispenser in the shower. The speaker in the stateroom didn't work so we had to open the door to hear any announcements. The vent under the bathroom door rattled...maintenance fixed it with masking tape...nuff said! DINING: Not as good as on other RCCL ships. Breakfast in the King and I was lacking in choices and the food didn't seem freshly prepared. We ate breakfast after that in the Windjammer. The made to order eggs and omelets were good. Forget the biscuits (cold) and gravy (bland, and pasty);-) and the chef needs a lesson on making grits. Lots of fresh fruit and many choices. We didn't go hungry. LUNCH: We either ate salads or went to the Solarium for hot dogs, hamburgers or pizza. Don't miss the crepes in the Solarium. Dinner: Food was average...some really good other not so great. Our server, Judy and assistant Diane were wonderful. Efficient and helpful in making choices. Head waiter Boas, stopped by every evening to chat for a moment, called us by our name. The main distraction was the table of 8 next to our table for 2. 4 adults and 4 children.....the children vied for everyone's attention..all at the same time, whined, talked badly, scooted out of their chairs onto the floor. Nuff said. My husband and I were unable to carry on a conversation in a normal tome of voice. We hoped this was a first night only occurrence, unfortunately it was just the wind up. I would think RCCL could seat people more efficiently. Normally dining is one of the highlights of our cruise....this was not the case. THANKSGIVING DINNER: We ordered a traditional Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner. I fixed turkey and stuffing on Sunday.;-) Ports: Cozumel: the weather was still cold but we decided to go to our favorite place..Paradise Beach. After a very rocky tender ride we hopped a cab to PB ($12 US) The sea was very rough and the wind was blowing. It got a bit better later in the day. We finally left about 2PM ($13 for the cab)and went back to the ship. Costa Maya: A perfect day. The sun was shining, it was warm and we docked. We took a bus to the beach. Lots of little places and everyone trying to get you to come at see his place. We walked to an area that seemed less crowded. Got sun loungers and an umbrella. The area was very shallow. No snorkeling, but it was an enjoyable morning. We had one banana smoothie, one order of bean and cheese nachos and one order of guacamole...$$30 US dollars. Lesson learned...ask before you order! The first 2 & 1/2 days were cold and rough sailing ....the latter part of the trip was perfect. STAFF: Some were outstanding.....but most we encountered seemed to not really care. Few smiles. Pursers Desk was the worst I have ever encountered. I tried to get paper for the printer in the Cyber Cafe...I was told someone would get it in a half hour or so...I went back every 15 minutes for 2 hours and paper never arrived. Entertainment: Average, some good some just OK. We did the self assist off the ship. There were no RCCL staff to coordinate....people were all over the place, some of us in lines and others just pushing their way through....line or no line. RCCL needs to take control and organize this quickly. Did we enjoy ourselves...YES It was a relaxing trip for us. Could it have been better....YES And yes, we will sail RCCL again..it's our favorite line. My overall rating is a 3 - 3 1/3. RCCL can, and has done better in the past and we are hopeful they will again.

Splendour of the Seas - Western Caribbean