3. Costa Magica
We just got off the Costa Magica on Sunday, November 26th, 2006. We were a bit disappointed with our overall experience being that we had a lovely cruise with the Costa Atlantica in April of 2004. We brought a total of 15 people with us this time - they were going to see us get married in Grand Cayman. The port of Grand Cayman was closed. We did not get married there and after talking with the Cruise Director and another person at the information counter, there was no other alternative for us to get married. In other words, the ship's captain was not available. Being disappointed is one thing, but then we found out that a Carnival ship under the same circumstances of not being able to port in Grand Cayman had 3 couples on it AND the Captain MArried them --- we were not happy at all after hearing this. Why didn't we have that opportunity? The Eco-Jeep Excursion was not good. We had taken it on the Costa Atlantica in April of 04 and it was great. But this time they were building a road so no off-road jeep experience and no crocodiles for some reason and no snorkeling. So what did we pay $308 for 4 people for? Hanging out at a beach and climbing a lighthouse. Bad. I brought this up to the Costa Representative and she was going to right this up. Her manager did nothing the next day. They said all was completed. I said no, you did a classic "bait and switch" routine on us and that is not cool we need a refund of $30 per person. They did not agree. I could not see the report she wrote up so I don't know what she really told her manager. I kept my cool and explained to them you can't go charging credit cards and over sell something and not deliver. They DID NOT CARE. I have notified my credit card company and NOW I want the entire $308 refunded due to their lack of customer service. That was clearly handled badly by them. Food was lackluster. If they had not made the menus so enormously magnifico over the top with your expectations maybe that would have been better, but two small carrots and a boiled potato the size of my big toe and two thin slices of meat with parsley strewn about does not constitute gourmet fare for me. We started ordering two entrees. Maybe they are catering to the retirees who leave food on their plate all the time? Maybe for our ages (36 - 44) we should have taken a ship that left out of a younger port??? Bland pastries, small portions BUT the PIZZA was awesome and the pasta dishes blew me away with taste.....that was good. Information officers at the front desk did not acknowledge us when we had been standing there in line for 20 minutes and it was our turn to get assistance our helper started helping someone else and left us hanging. Bad customer service. That is just plain rude. We were very patient but left feeling not well attended to. Is the staff just tired and underpaid and taking it out on the cruise patrons? There are choices out there and we won't be back on a Costa ship. Our room was nice, bed was unusually hard....good size bathroom. Overall the ship is well designed, looked great for Italian taste in decorating, very clean. The big midnight buffet was a let down too. Only shaved meat and pastries. If you passed at dinner - the disappointment continues! Pass on a Costa cruise!

CostaMagica - Eastern Caribbean