3. Carnival Elation
This was a great cruise and I would definitely book the Elation again for another trip. My husband and my daughter (21) and son (17) all enjoyed it as much as I did. My last Carnival cruise was five years ago and I wasn't particularly impressed: cramped staterooms, unmemorable hotel banquet-type food, huge tables of strangers at dinner. All that has changed on the Elation. We had very comfortable and large staterooms on the M deck, with plenty of closet space and shelves. The bathroom was good-sized and had lots of hooks. The halls were quiet at night. Although this was a Christmas cruise and there were some children on board, there weren't as many as I had expected after reading some of the message boards here. Embarkation took longer than I thought it would. I'd spent about an hour on-line at Carnival's rather difficult website feeding in all of our passport information so that we could have a "fast pass" to help us board more quickly. I had to make two calls to Carnival to get through the process: one to get our "past guest" number and another for help on the website because of its lack of directions about how to write the phone number so that the computer would accept it. Just about everyone else had a "fast pass" too, so the line was long! The shorter line was for the people who hadn't done the computer homework! Once we finally reached an agent, the check-in process did move quickly, but we stood in line for about thirty minutes before that. Guests have the option of having their meals in their assigned dining room or upstairs at Tiffany's on the Lido deck. We always ate breakfast and lunch at Tiffany's. It was buffet-style (really self serve although staff did come around for drink refills) with a wide variety of entrees, soups, salads, and desserts. We particularly liked the small, family sized tables and the option of eating outdoors on deck. There was a great selection of healthy food. Dinner at night is at larger tables, but many of these are for six or eight. We chose the 8:30 seating for a more "grown-up" crowd, and it wasn't as crowded. The food was consistently excellent and attractively presented. Service was efficient and friendly. The entertainment in the Mikado Lounge was very good-my only serious complaint about this ship is that the entire second level of this theater does not have good seats for watching the show. It's more than "some seats have obstructed views". You just can't see at all! It's frustrating not to be able to see a show that is well-prepared and entertaining. It's hard to understand how the rest of the ship can be so well-designed and yet the theater is so poorly thought-out. Get there early and sit on the first floor. The only complaint I heard from other passengers was that it was impossible to book a very long tour on your own in Belize because the ship is not in port nearly as many hours as is shown on the schedule. Having to tender in on smaller boats takes a long time and Carnival's tour groups go first. The last tender back to the boat leaves at 4:15, even though the official timetable states that the ship would be in port until six. Frankly, I would omit this port entirely. There is truly nothing to do for the folks who don't book tours. I know people enjoyed their tours, but if I go on this cruise again, I will just stay on the ship. The small "shopping village" has very expensive low-quality merchandise-nothing worth making the tender trip for. However, I was able to buy a phone card there at a store with the word "Mayan" in its name to call the U.S. for $1 per minute instead of $7 a minute they charged on the ship. Debarkation went very smoothly. We had time to enjoy a final breakfast outside on the deck overlooking the Galveston skyline.

Carnival Elation - Western Caribbean