3. Splendour of the Seas
Galveston: We stayed the night before at the Moody Gardens hotel, it was beautiful. They have a free shuttle to and from the pier and the car was kept in their gated parking garage. We paid about $119 for 1 night. Embarkation: This was the easiest of all 4 cruises we have been on. The people were very friendly and the process was fast and easy! Our room: H 3610 on deck 3. The room was clean and nice. It had a little less storage than some ships we had been on, but it was still enough. Our room did not have a couch, just a chair. We found the room a little stuffy and wished we had brought a small fan with us. The bed was really uncomfortable, I have never slept so bad in my life. Finally after 4 nights of no sleep we requested an additional mattress. We should have done that after night one! They were very helpful with this request and it was taken care of promptly. My only real complaint was the location of the room. We were 1 room from being the last room on the floor! The closest elevator is mid-ship and those long hallways made me feel very Claustrophobic and trapped. The ship: The ship has been fitted with a rock wall and minigolf course. The atrium was very pretty and open. The study has the most comfortable chairs on board. Everything looked to be in good shape and was clean. The bathroom layout was very strange. Many of the public rooms including the dining room and theatre do not have bathrooms near them, you have to take the elevator to them! Dining: The food was good. I thought Celebrity Cruises had much better food. The windjammer was where we ate lunch and breakfast. They did a good job of keeping the food on the buffet hot. The King and I dining room was good, the asst. waitress was not very good. She was very distracted and did a lousy job of filling up our waters. The waiter did a nice job, but he had to pick up a lot of slack for the asst. Basically, we did not find anybody raving about the food, but people thought it was good. We heard several mention other RCCL ships had better food. The passengers: There was a lot more young couples on this cruise, some kids, and a pretty even mix of the rest. Cruising out of Texas was much more casual than our previous cruises. We saw lots more jeans and t-shirts than ever before. This cruise also had a ton of smokers. The smokers we saw all stayed on the smoking side and were respectful, but the ship was still quite smokey! Entertainment: It was great! We enjoyed all of the shows and there was a great mix of comedians, magicians, singers, piano players and production shows. We had a very nice time and enjoyed the cruise, we got the cruise for an amazing price, so we got our moneys worth!

Splendour of the Seas - Pacific Coastal