• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Carnival Glory Review

Editor Rating
4 Awards

Great time, but very dissappointed this is the last of its kind

Review for Carnival Glory to the Bahamas
Qikese
6-10 Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: Oct 2013
Cabin:

This was my 4th time taking pretty much this same cruise on the Carnival Glory. They finally upgraded the ship, which was really great. I had gotten bored with the ship and had kept hoping they would dock a different one at the Norfolk port because of that. But, though I ended up on the same ship I've been on multiple times before, the upgrades made it much better this time around.

Before I go into that though, I want to voice a major complaint in hopes that Carnival reads these reviews. We are very, very unhappy about Carnival pulling out of the port of Norfolk, Virginia. We've been cruising Carnival out of this port about once every year and a half and Carnival leaving this port means that we will probably take very few cruises in the future. The airfare cost to other ports makes them too expensive - expensive enough that I'd rather do something else instead of cruise, or end up cruising on another line, which I know Carnival doesn't want. That said, Carnival, please, please, please come back to the Norfolk port!!!

Okay, now back to the rest of the review. On the upgrades: First, they put in Guy's Burger Joint. The burgers on the ship used to be so-so at best. These are significantly better. They're a little more along the lines of 5 Guys Burgers and Fries. Yummy.

The Empress deck is my favorite and I always say on that level, a lot because I'm not a big fan of elevators and most everything we want to do is either on level 5 or level 9. Being on level 7 means that we can generally walk up and down the stairs for most everything. We always choose an interior room because it's cheaper and we don't cruise to spend time in our room, so we're rarely there. I usually like being in the middle of the ship. This time we were toward the back, which we thought we wouldn't like. But it turned out to work in our favor as that seemed to be the side of the ship we stayed on most anyway.

Port Reviews

Nassau

We went back to Adastra Gardens, Nassau's Zoo. We'd been there before, but were rushed the last time. This time we went earlier so it would be a more leisurely experience. We love this zoo. It doesn't have a ton of exhibits. As a matter of fact, a lot of them were even closed and under construction. But, there is the feel of the place that draws us both there. It's not like American zoos where we clear all the land and flatten it out and then make fake looking exhibits. These people will see a large tree and literally make a cage around it and put an exotic bird or two in it and viola!, there's your totally natural habitat efficiently and effectively made into an exhibit. The whole place is like a jungle maze and that's what we love, the feeling of being in a tropical jungle. We even found a quiet location with a bench in the middle of a jungle setting and just hung out there and relaxed, talked, and enjoyed the scenery for a while. We also had a blast feeding the lorakeets and watching the famous flamingo march. Many of the exhibits are of various colorful, and I believe tropical, birds. I'm a photographer, so I have a field day at this zoo because I'm able to take pictures that appear to be natural or taken out in the wild. From Adastra, we walked down to Twin Brothers at the Fish Fry and each had an out of this world smoothie. Their smoothies are so much more flavorful than American Smoothies. The fruit taste is powerful and not at all processed tasting like ours in the states. We highly recommend these to anyone who visits the area.After that, we ran into a local marching band on the walk back to the ship, paused to watch them for a bit, and then made our way back on board. The ship was only docked in Nassau for one day, rather than it's usual two days. This didn't affect us too much as we've been to Nassau several times now, we've already done the Atlantis thing, the Senior Frogs thing, the horse and buggy tour through the city, etc. However, if it had been my first time there, I think that would have felt limiting. I always prefer overnight cruise ports because I like not having to worry about when I need to get back on the ship.

Freeport

The port of Freeport has improved dramatically. Years ago, there was nothing at all to get off the ship for at this port unless you were going to take an excursion or get in a cab and go somewhere. Now, there are a bunch of shops and vendors, a Senior Frogs, and even some courtyard entertainment and seating at the port itself. Our time in Freeport was very limited (7 a.m. to 3 p.m.) and we're not early risers, so we chose not to go crazy trying to go anywhere this time, even though I would have liked to hit Taino Beach and would have happily done so had we been in port until 6 or 7 p.m. Note to Carnival: I really wish y'all would make port stays significantly longer for all your cruises. Nonetheless, we got off the ship for a couple of hours and just hung out, checked out the vendors, made a few small purchases, watched the courtyard band play for a bit, and had a pretty good little time for ourselves.

1 Helpful Vote