• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

californiacruiseluvrs
First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Nov 2013
Cabin:

I previously wrote a quasi review/compare contrast of Seabourn to Oceania. I want to expand a bit to be clear and fair. I also want to make clear that I am not writing as a snob or elite, but somebody who really enjoys the luxury travel experience and expects to get what we think we are paying for.

My biggest problem with Seabourn and the reason for the less than favorable review is based on advertising my wife and I were under the impression we were buying a luxury product on par with Oceania or Crystal or perhaps a Ritz Carlton/Fours Seasons Hotel experience. Our experience was a let down.

Although the ship is smaller than most with fewer passengers and an excellent passenger to space ratio (which is really nice) the quality of the food and soft furnishings is lacking and frankly poor beyond belief. My wife and I really feel that the food and soft furnishings are so mediocre - and so not even close to being on par with a shoreside semi-fine dining experience - that the Seabourn experience can be best summed up as an expensive sized down version of a Holland America cruise. Not to knock Holland America (as I have in the past), but at least HAL does not advertise to be a six star product and in many regards is superior at a lesser price point. We are very well traveled and enjoy luxury as much as the next luxury seeking traveler, but also expect to get what is promised and what is paid for.

5 Helpful Votes