3. Marco Polo

This was a one night familiarisation visit to the ship. I'm so glad we did. If we hadn't we might have been fooled into booking a whole cruise.

Plus points:

Embarcation and disembarcation was easy.

The cabin was clean and comfortable.

The cabin steward was friendly.

Minus points:

The evening meal was poor with a tasteless plate of iceberg salad, a reasonable tomato soup with soggy bread in it, the main course with congealed vegetables and served on a cold plate, and a sliver of baked Alaska. Wine was provided and poured indiscriminately into glasses without tasting.

The entertainment was straight out of an episode of Hi-Di-Hi but without the talent. Skegness 1956 comes to mind.

Sleep was disturbed by inconsiderate passengers shouting in the corridors well past midnight - the cabins were poorly insulated for sound so that you could hear noises from adjacent cabins.

Breakfast was miserable. Coffee was stewed, fried eggs were cold, congealed and burnt on the bottom, toast was dried out and kept warm under a heat lamp. Sausages were of poor quality. Potato wedges were undercooked, greasy and cold. If I had paid £1.50 for it in a greasy spoon I would have asked for my money back.

The vast majority (but not all!) of the fellow passengers were uneducated boors with few social graces. It could have been an audition for 'The Only Way is Essex'

The staff were generally disinterested and unhelpful - perhaps they had become used to the prevailing atmosphere.

Simply Atrocious - Avoid

Marco Polo Cruise Review by argo99

• Sail Date: November 2013
  • Destination: Nowhere

Plus points:

Embarcation and disembarcation was easy.

The cabin was clean and comfortable.

The cabin steward was friendly.

Minus points:

argo99’s Full Rating Summary

Reasonable size. Very small safe. Clean and comfortable. Poor sound insulation.

Marco Polo Deck Plans