• Newsletter
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Queen Elizabeth Review

Now I'm more impressed .......

Review for the Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on Queen Elizabeth
portsidejane
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2013

Well, I have to eat my words now that I’ve just re-read my review of Queen Elizabeth dated August 2011. Back then I had a good moan about pretty much everything and vowed never to choose Cunard again. Now, having thoroughly enjoyed a 12 day Eastern Mediterranean cruise on Queen Elizabeth in October 2013, I’m left wondering if this was the same ship! We decided to give Cunard another chance purely because of the itinerary and the price. Again we opted for a late-booking “Guarantee” balcony cabin and were not disappointed – deck 5, starboard, aft.

Having had to leave home at 4am for a 7am departure from Heathrow it was a great relief to find embarkation in Rome swift efficient and hassle-free. We had no difficulty locating our stateroom and again we were conveniently placed for stairs and elevators. As returning Cunard passengers – and now Gold Card holders – the complimentary chilled bottle of sparkling wine in our stateroom was very welcome. Luggage arrived quickly, our steward introduced himself, the sun was shining and we were happy. Balcony staterooms on QE are spacious with plenty of wardrobe and storage space and good lighting; the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

Preferring the Lido Buffet, we only used the Britannia Restaurant on one occasion – the first formal night – so I’m not in a position to make much comment on the restaurant food and service except to say the menu seemed rather limited but the waiter service was an improvement on last time. The evening buffet offers plenty of choices and some evenings were “themed” e.g. Italian, Scandinavian, Oriental. There is also an Alternative Dining option in the Lido with a US$10 cover charge per person and we used this on one occasion for an Indian menu. The food was good, cooked to order and served at the table – no complaints about that but by making an additional charge for certain types of dining and alternative venues on the ship is somehow an admission that the food served in the buffet and the Britannia Restaurant is of an inferior standard. Early on in the cruise there seemed to be a bit of a dishwasher malfunction – dirty cutlery and lip marks on cups and glasses – but rectified by the 2nd day. At breakfast there was always plenty to choose from and all diets/tastes catered for but I think the drinks stations really could do with a reorganisation – everything’s in the wrong order and people keep bumping into each other. Reassuring to see a greater presence and use of hand-sanitising gel this time.

previous reviewnext review

Find a Queen Elizabeth Cruise from $399

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.